What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IOS and jailbreak

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I've managed to jailbreak it through perseverance and messing around was a close call and still on 9.0.2 so all good.

So now my kids iPad are done I would like to do my iPad 4.

Can I update to 9.1 and still jailbreak using the pangu jailbreak ? Or have I missed the boat for jailbreak now, cannot believe iTunes said there was another jailbreak literally about 20 minutes after going to 9.0.2 on my sons.

Thank you ;-)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple is still signing both software versions, so if iOS 9.1 installs on your device, you'll be able to revert to 9.0.2.

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 4 is on 8.3 and when plugging in it asks to update to 9.1 so how would I get to 9.0.2 or the easier way how would I download straight to 9.0.2 to save going back from 9.1 ?

I presume that 9.1 is not jail Breakable?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 9.1 was just released earlier today and it currently has no available jailbreak. To get the iOS 9.0.2 download links you have to go to a site like this one and download the link for your particular device to your computer. Download iOS 9.0.2 Links For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch [IPSW] | Redmond Pie You would then connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and restore to the downloaded iOS file. The exact procedure depends on whether or not you have a Mac or Windows computer. With a Mac you press and hold the option key before tapping the restore button. This opens the download files. Select the iOS 9.0.2 file you just downloaded and open it. Your iPad will now restore to iOS 9.0.2.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Sci, so how do I update to 9.0.2 from 8.3 please ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Sci, so how do I update to 9.0.2 from 8.3 please ?
I edited my post to give the download links and instructions for a Mac. I haven't used a Windows computer to do this so I'm unfamiliar with that procedure.

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Sci, I have windows PC so no Mac, plus I've never done it like that usually only go straight through iTunes , could you help me out and possibly do some wizard research and tell me how I should do this,would love to get this done before 9.0.2 stops getting signed, you have no idea how much I would appreciate your help on this .

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just make sure to download the iOS 9.0.2 file before starting. Most importantly, back up your iPad before starting as this procedure will erase your iPad. Once the upgrade is complete you can set up your iPad from the backup you made.

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks J.A. and Sci, so do I have to go to 9.1 and downgrade or could I download the file and hold shift and install to 9.0.2 straight from 8.3.

Top man thanks for your excellent and massively apprecated help.

Also I was sure I had an ipad4 but the code on the back says Model :A1430 meaning according to my research its actually an ipad3.
Is there anyway whatsoever I could be wrong and that there was a cross over in between this model number, I was 100% this was and ipad4.

I know its wifi and cellular but how do I know if its cdma or gsm ? looks like its AT+T meaning GSM?

That's what Ill download for ios9.0.2.

Can you guys confirm all the above and also will I still be able to do this procedure tomorrow, can I only do it if apple is still signing it or if I download the file now and its the correct file, will it work? Do we know when apple will stop signing.

Sorry for so many questions and thanks guys , you are the best :)

Also the file has downloaded as a zip , do I use it like this when im pressing the shift key to install it ? Or do I have to unistll the zip file to another folder and locate the ipsw file etc ?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to tell an iPad 3 from an iPad 4 is that the iPad 4 has the Lightning connector and iPad 3 has the 30 pin dock connector. You should be able to upgrade directly from iOS 8.3 to iOS 9.0.1. Just make sure you download the file for your model number as shown on the back of the iPad and it will work.
You open the zip file after downloading and then proceed as outlined above.

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's Deffo an iPad 3 then as has 30 pin .

Do I just extract the whole zip file to another folder before restoring and pressing shift, direct to the unzipped file and it will point me to the ipsw?

Thanks again and that should be my last question if it's correct lol

Was just unzipping to another folder there and it was asking me towards the end with quiet a few files do I want to copy without encryption ? I clicked yes on them all is that correct? What was it asking me that ? Have I done something wrong ?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I've done something like this I've only had to unzip the one file. If you look in the downloads folder on your computer what does it show?

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The zip file is one folder but in that there are several files and folders, so I made a folder on my desktop called unzipped 9.0.2 then right clicked on the zipped file and asked it to extract to unzipped folder, towards the end of the extraction this is when it asked me if I wanted to continue opening files without encryption, probably around 10 files towards the end I had to do this with.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts