What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of maintenance and optimization apps, Apple's planned obsolescence strategy?

anandali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear All,

Being used to conduct the routine maintenance of files and software components on my Mac regularly, I'm surprised that no maintenance software is available for the iPad.

Cleanup and maintenance utilities are vital to the performance of desktop computers and I can't count the number of times I was saved by programs such as Onyx on my Mac.

I'm aware that optimizing battery power, keeping iOS upgraded, rebooting once in a while and cleaning up storage space will do a lot to keep an iPad in shape, but even if its files are hidden from view, some of these are bound to get corrupt one day. iPads DO crash like any other computing device. Apps incompatibilities DO exist but unlike on a Mac, there is no software to detect them.

Is it possible that Apple doesn't allow developpers to commercialize maintenance and optimization apps, denying them access to their App Store in an attempt to control the life-span of iPads and controlling thus their built-in obsolescence?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

OP
A

anandali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answer:) ! How can we be sure that files don't get corrupt if we don't have access to them?

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
anandali said:
Thank you very much for your answer:) ! How can we be sure that files don't get corrupt if we don't have access to them?

Everything about the iPad is 'sandboxed'. Apps can not communicate, no viruses can be put on the device...the iPad is all but impenetrable, at least if you're not jailbroken.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Why are you in search of a problem to solve?

OP
A

anandali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because my mind works like that:) ! I always want to foresee the possible problems: I'm not a programmer, just an end-user, and I want to keep my beautiful iPad as long as possible. I still possess the Macs I bought in the '80s and they are still working:) ! And it is mainly because I always looked for the best tips in forums like this one.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because my mind works like that:) ! I always want to foresee the possible problems: I'm not a programmer, just an end-user, and I want to keep my beautiful iPad as long as possible. I still possess the Macs I bought in the '80s and they are still working:) ! And it is mainly because I always looked for the best tips in forums like this one.

Ok...that sounds good. I'm wondering if you might want to go visit our forums on jail breaking your iPad. It is my understanding, that once you do this, you can see the files. I don't know anything about this, as I haven't gone the JB way. But we have some experts here who can help with this.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since leaving OS9, my Macs have gotten no software maintenance, just regular backups. Unix systems are just not very sensitive to fragmentation or crash detritus, though permissions apparently cause occasional problems for some users (not me). My Macs aren't babied, either, having provided me with a living since 1992, running the usual professional publishing and design apps. The software industry would like to sell everyone more maintenance apps, of course, whether they're needed or not. If it ain't broke...

Now, a friend recently had a weird mouse problem caused by preference corruption, probably caused by an outdated Logitech mouse utility I told him not to install. Don't put PC software on your Mac, and you'll be fine. :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions