What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of iPad Accessories?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been looking at the available accessories on web sites. I noticed that most of that available is attempts to make other devices like netbook bags, chargers that only put out 5w, etc. Other than Apple, the amount of good devices is actually limited. What I was looking for was a car charger in white, but the only ones that are known to work, are in black. iPhone cables are supposedly different from iPad cables, so I do not have a lot of confidence in most of the ones available. What is really fustrating is an inability to get a case like I want. The one I really wanted was available from Amazon for a very short time, and now is backordered to mid May. My #2 choice is still unavailable. I wonder if the issue is just the sheer number of iPads that is keeping these items from getting out to large scale vendors. It may be a long time before we see what we need at Wal-Mart, Amazon, and others.:(

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think your right. We are quite sometime from being able to hit the local Walmart or Target store to see what's new. The fire is still to hot on the crest of the wave right now...most 3rd party vendors find post production sales quickly feasible by credit card and digital store front. Can't wait to see a bigger selection of adapters,cables etc at a local retailer.

For the record, I'm up to 4 cases, predicated on need for the day or activity. I'm cool with that for now.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been looking at the available accessories on web sites. I noticed that most of that available is attempts to make other devices like netbook bags, chargers that only put out 5w, etc. Other than Apple, the amount of good devices is actually limited. What I was looking for was a car charger in white, but the only ones that are known to work, are in black. iPhone cables are supposedly different from iPad cables, so I do not have a lot of confidence in most of the ones available. What is really fustrating is an inability to get a case like I want. The one I really wanted was available from Amazon for a very short time, and now is backordered to mid May. My #2 choice is still unavailable. I wonder if the issue is just the sheer number of iPads that is keeping these items from getting out to large scale vendors. It may be a long time before we see what we need at Wal-Mart, Amazon, and others.:(

Hi SeaDog, yet we have more than 20 products all are 100% dedicated to the iPad, we have not launch most of them in the market for the really simple reasons is we want to give the best experience to out customer ..

we will not do like some selling the products saying is one year warranty if it don’t fit well just return it to us (but don’t say delivery charge is at your own), i prefer to took little more time and be sure of what we sell …

that’s our way to work …

the second reasons is as you say most of products yet in the market is not especially made for the iPad like netbook bag, iPhone cable (witch by the way are not exactly the same), this include car and home charger …

but be patient it will not be so long as you think, all serious company are waiting like us for launch their products

PS: i know is pain :D especially because all my friends want some of my products like: bag ,cover,car and home charger, car headrest support, window clamps, stand … as they see it or my office or in my car

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i first got the unit i had order through the companys the products i saw that they have ..i made a few phone calls and did the ordering over the phone on the accessories i wanted ..

the problem is a lot of companys are trying to turn units that where not really design for the ipad out for sale in the market place ..that where the problem is ..

i just got my kensington sling bag this week ..before i was useing a regular sling bag and a padded sleeve case desgin for a mini netbook unit to carry the unit around .i still useing the padded sleeve inside the slingbag for i like the double up system to protect the unit ..

plus a lot of the accessories i bought where saight from the apple store .so i know they would work ..

but i kept it real simple with the accessories items
-x-hardrubber back cover
-x-apple dock for connecting to the computer unit ..
-x-sleeve unit
-x-screen cleaning cloth
-x-ear phone unit
-x-sling bag
that about it for the access items

i spent more money on applications than anything i really bought for i really went hog wild on the applications for the ipad and the iphone that where a lot of the money went for the unit beside the price of the unit ..

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know where the problem is, but considering how long some companies had to produce products, it seems that they could have done a better job. My main point is that most products out there are rehashed existing components that were not made specifically for iPad, or the manufacturers have been slow about ramping up their production. The hard cases and sleeves are probably an exception to this, but I have not paid that much attention to them to be sure.

IpadOne, this is not a criticism of your products or availability. My thoughts are about the outfits that have inside information which gives some manufacturers a head start on the competition. And U.S. companies have easier access to iPads for testing.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know where the problem is, but considering how long some companies had to produce products, it seems that they could have done a better job. My main point is that most products out there are rehashed existing components that were not made specifically for iPad, or the manufacturers have been slow about ramping up their production. The hard cases and sleeves are probably an exception to this, but I have not paid that much attention to them to be sure.

IpadOne, this is not a criticism of your products or availability. My thoughts are about the outfits that have inside information which gives some manufacturers a head start on the competition. And U.S. companies have easier access to iPads for testing.
You have to take under account that Apple's secrecy clauses don't leave manufacturers much time to invent something. Only the bigger, richest and faster companies can deliver something fast.

I would have liked producing cases for the iPad. I have to wait for my own iPad just to take accurate profiles of the device(end of may). That's two months more before I can deliver anything of quality.

MLimtiaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work for a company that produces mobile computers and printers. We typically outsource all accessories mainly because others can make them for less cost than we can.

I'd rather wait 2-3 months for quality accessories than get a bunch of junk right away. I can make do with the available offerings for the time being - the iPad just hasn't been on the market long enough for the accessory market to catch up to it. And there was the potential - small, but there - that iPad wouldn't be as wildly successful as it seems to have become. So there are likely a number of manufacturers who took the "wait and see" approach, and I think we'll see a lot of stuff in Q3-Q4 this year. My two cents...

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the iPad case that sprint is giving out for free when you get a overdrive 4g from them. I think its worth the 2 year commitment. Hahah. I have a wifi only but want constant Internet access. I just couldn't justify paying AT&T more money after I had the iPhone and left it all behind because their service sucked in NYC at the time. It would be very hypercritical.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The was a report that the case shown was not the case offered. I do not know for certain, tho.

This lack of nice accessories is one of the reasons I rarely get a new item. Especially one as unique as this. But it also shows the subtle appeal of the iPad.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

SeaDog you are wrong we work closely with Apple, they didn’t provide us any technical information before the official launch in the market …

i will give you an example: Most of the film be sell the first month of iPad delivery are absolutely not accurate as they be designed based on the picture available in the Apple website, this include all Gel Case and leather cover … for a Gel case you need to open a mould witch take 20 days at least , many company they bet on the flexibility of the Silicone and Pu material for made their products, this in our eyes is cheat the customer we have prepare all in advance but we wait to be sure and if we need we adjust the mould …

If you take a look of the products catalog of serious company, they doesn’t have products need a mould because they are also waiting to confirm all details, after that of course you can many small company taking the opportunity to made fast money this is short term view.

PS: i don’t take it at all as a criticism, and i clearly understand your needing

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Between design time, tool up time, cost analysis, market analysis, and everything else, I fully understand the delays, but that never helps when I have a nice shiny toy and need something NOW.:D Heck, I have been twiddling my thumbs for four months waiting for some regulators to finish approving a project.

cwisnoski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow we are all into instant gratification, are we not ?

the ipad has only been out for 1 month. Give it some time. They have sold over 1 million iPad's. The accessory's will come, in time.

My $.02
CW

Most reactions