What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle

Peter_Izn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an ipad2 and kindle. Books purchased from Amazon synch to last page read between iPad and kindle, however when I load a mobi format into the iPad, using the Amazon app add, I can read it using the Amazon app on the iPad but it does not synch, although it does synch between the kindle and the kindle PC app and vv.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Never had a reason to do this, so I can't compare, but:

I'd report it to Amazon, wherever their feedback page for the Kindle app is. Sounds more like a problem with the app and their whisper sync service than with the iPad itself.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read in a number of ebook forums that the sync is only for books purchased through amazon and any that you load independently won't sync without major hassle.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup. So if you sideload a book, bookmark rather than rely on synching.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, but that just changed a week or so ago.

If you e-mail an e-book that is compatible with the Kindle (e.g. mobi, azw) to your device's Kindle e-mail address ([email protected]), Amazon now will put that book into your Personal Documents AND into the archive. Then, you can use whispersync, annotations, etc. to your heart's content (well, with all but PDFs).

See this Amazon help page for details: Amazon.com Help: Kindle Personal Documents Service, but here's the money quote (my emphasis added):

Kindle Personal Documents Service makes it easy to take your personal documents with you, eliminating the need to print. With Kindle Personal Documents Service you and your approved contacts can send personal documents wirelessly to your supported devices, archive them in your Kindle Library and download them any time you have a wireless connection. Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations for personal documents (with the exception of PDFs) across your supported devices.

You can view and download archived personal documents from your Kindle Library on Kindle Keyboard (with the latest software update, version 3.3), Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch (running Kindle app version 2.9 or greater). Kindle Personal Documents Service is currently not supported on other free Kindle Reading Applications. Whispersync of your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations is available on your archived personal documents that have been converted into Kindle format.

And, I can tell you from personal experience that this works. I've e-mailed 200+ books I have from other places (Smashwords, Baen, Google, Mobileread, etc) to my Kindle. When I open the book and read for a bit, then open the same book on my iPhone or the iPad - I am offered the chance to go to the furthest read point, just as if I had purchased the book from Amazon.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain, e-mailing all those books. But, it only has to be done once (and Amazon will store up to 5GB of data in your personal documents file).

Awesome!

So awesome, in fact, that it's the reason I now HAVE a Kindle (just got it this Thursday past!). I prefer to read with an e-ink device, but I'm harsh on them out of the house (have broken 3). This way, I can read with my iPad/iPhone while out of the house, then, when I get home, I can pick up the Kindle and resume where I left off.

But, that's my personal problem (and probably more than you care to hear). :D

So, give it a try. As I said, it works great for me - maybe it'll work for you.

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

If you e-mail an e-book that is compatible with the Kindle (e.g. mobi, azw) to your device's Kindle e-mail address ([email protected]), Amazon now will put that book into your Personal Documents AND into the archive. Then, you can use whispersync, annotations, etc. to your heart's content (well, with all but PDFs).

See this Amazon help page for details: Amazon.com Help: Kindle Personal Documents Service, but here's the money quote (my emphasis added):

And, I can tell you from personal experience that this works. I've e-mailed 200+ books I have from other places (Smashwords, Baen, Google, Mobileread, etc) to my Kindle. When I open the book and read for a bit, then open the same book on my iPhone or the iPad - I am offered the chance to go to the furthest read point, just as if I had purchased the book from Amazon.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain, e-mailing all those books. But, it only has to be done once (and Amazon will store up to 5GB of data in your personal documents file).

Awesome!

So awesome, in fact, that it's the reason I now HAVE a Kindle (just got it this Thursday past!). I prefer to read with an e-ink device, but I'm harsh on them out of the house (have broken 3). This way, I can read with my iPad/iPhone while out of the house, then, when I get home, I can pick up the Kindle and resume where I left off.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn--for the great info. I think my mom and I are going to get the kindle fire for her to compliment her present kindle. I think she was a bit overwhelmed of the iPad! Thanks again!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Awesome!

Marilyn

Checking: Does synching work on sideloaded books and docs?

I got an app notice about sideloading last week, but haven't used it on iPad yet. I was glad to hear about it, but am not looking forward to sideloading all the stuff I previously sideloaded to my Kindle again. Have you heard whether there's shortcut with stuff that was previously sideloaded?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Kay, everything I read about this requires you to e-mail the file to your @kindle e-mail address. You can do sideloading from the PC - but it's AFTER you get the e-mail to your device (or to your PC). You have to open the e-mail on your computer, plug in the Kindle and then transfer via USB to the Kindle.

So, no, avoiding the whole e-mail issue, or not having to re-do all the transfers done [as an e-mail process], doesn't appear to be an option. At least not with this. I'm too new to the Kindle world to know if there is any other way to sideload books and keep the syncing function. Sorry.

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Kay, everything I read about this requires you to e-mail the file to your @kindle e-mail address. You can do sideloading from the PC - but it's AFTER you get the e-mail to your device (or to your PC). You have to open the e-mail on your computer, plug in the Kindle and then transfer via USB to the Kindle.

So, no, avoiding the whole e-mail issue, or not having to re-do all the transfers done [as an e-mail process], doesn't appear to be an option. At least not with this. I'm too new to the Kindle world to know if there is any other way to sideload books and keep the syncing function. Sorry.

Marilyn

Ugh. I was waiting to see how other users worked it out. I mailed a bunch of books and docs to my Kindle address previously and am still using that same address, presumably, under the new feature on iPad, so I was hoping to hear that there was sharing of old content on the new feature.

M

Manou

The USAToday down load program they offer through Amazon it was cloud Sync. to my Kindal Fire.
I am not quite sure what you are trying to tell me - I can't comment on the Kindle Fire as it is not sold outside the US. But whatever you download through Amazon can for sure be synced.

@Marilyn - Thank you very much for the info regarding emailing side loaded books to the Kindle, I didn't know that they can be synced now :thumbs:

Most reactions

Latest posts