What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle for the iPad

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have gotten the Kindle reader app for my iTouch, and also have other reader apps for it. I am reading several different books on my iTouch, each one on a different reader. I find the iTouch is good when I'm on the go & try to snatch a few pages when I can. I'm retired and drive a School Bus twice a day, so the Touch is perfect size for a pocket. But if I'm going on an all day Field Trip that involves hours of just waiting around, the iPad would be great. I just plug in to the bus plug-in and I'm good for hours for music, books, podcasts, TV and now with the iPad, movies and the internet! I've about convinced my self to go with the 3G version for those times when I'm stuck in the bus at a rural football game or at a UIL competition. I'll just have to be creative about ways to enjoy it out on my own, without all the other drivers trying to watch over my shoulder!

ibrewalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan to use both my Kindle (for reading) and iPad (for office+). With the Kindle app, I can sync my Kindle and my iPad to the same page of whatever book I'm reading and read some at work if I choose, but I really like the Kindle for reading. I know if I read on my iPod Touch for a couple of hours my eyes are bleary...that could be because it's small or because it's backlit. Not sure.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn it sideways and it is about the same size as reading a paperback book. What's the problem?[/QUOTE]

For me, its not portable, its luggable. I have 4 laptops of varying degrees of portability and capability and do not need a "fragile" glass faced device that I have to worry about dropping or breaking.

It is too big to be held in one hand conveniently for long periods of time while reading. I like to read in bed and on the airplane. The smaller size of the IPONE or the Kindle along with lighter weight works fine for me.

Personally I think that the IPAD is aimed at non-computer users. Its designed to be dumbed down so it is optimized for semi literate non-computer users. It opens up a new market for them.

From a marketing viewpoint they dont want to kill their other successful paroducts. It needs to be differentiated from the higher end IPODs and Iphone. I dont see it being buffed to the point where it will compete with their laptops either.

I think that there were a lot of dicsussions about "why" before they locked down the configuration of the IPAD. It makes no sense to invest a ton of money in bringing out a new product that just kills off other successful devices that are already far down the profit curve. The return on investment is bad.

I can see the IPAD being attractive to early adopters, hell we will buy anything that looks cool and has a display . .. just because. Then figure out what to do with it later.

But I think its really directed at least initially at grandma who wants to see the grandkids pictures and is afraid or unwilling to learn how to use a Mac. Its designed to be an appliance like device. Push the right button on the pretty screen and you can see the kids pictures. Easy.

I can also see Apple watching the data carefully and at some point deciding to bring out an IPAD2 or 3 that starts to bring in the capabilities of a low - mid range laptop. I could even see a gradual migration to the IPAD becoming the new standard for a laptop, but I think it will have to change to get there.

People who are power users, business users spend hours a day typing on a keyboard. No keyboard means they will NOT adopt it as a laptop replacement. It needs to have a real, high quality keyboard and mouse to be a laptop replacement.

It needs to be truely portable and that means some kind of integral protection for the display.

It needs to have a mouse and usb ports and sound and if you go that far it needs HDMI.

But I think that is for later. They are purposly limiting its functionality right now and watching where to take it next.

I have decided to wait another couple of months to see what the next IPAD looks like, if the price comes down like the IPHONE did and how Dell and others react. If Dell or HP actually bring out a true tablet PC with business capability it will be very attractive. Unfortunately I dont think that will happen and I am still thinking its an IPAD for me, but it will be mostly for my wife who is not a power user and a netbook replacement for her.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn it sideways and it is about the same size as reading a paperback book. What's the problem?

For me, its not portable, its luggable. I have 4 laptops of varying degrees of portability and capability and do not need a "fragile" glass faced device that I have to worry about dropping or breaking.

It is too big to be held in one hand conveniently for long periods of time while reading. I like to read in bed and on the airplane. The smaller size of the IPONE or the Kindle along with lighter weight works fine for me.

Personally I think that the IPAD is aimed at non-computer users. Its designed to be dumbed down so it is optimized for semi literate non-computer users. It opens up a new market for them.

From a marketing viewpoint they dont want to kill their other successful paroducts. It needs to be differentiated from the higher end IPODs and Iphone. I dont see it being buffed to the point where it will compete with their laptops either.

I think that there were a lot of dicsussions about "why" before they locked down the configuration of the IPAD. It makes no sense to invest a ton of money in bringing out a new product that just kills off other successful devices that are already far down the profit curve. The return on investment is bad.

I can see the IPAD being attractive to early adopters, hell we will buy anything that looks cool and has a display . .. just because. Then figure out what to do with it later.

But I think its really directed at least initially at grandma who wants to see the grandkids pictures and is afraid or unwilling to learn how to use a Mac. Its designed to be an appliance like device. Push the right button on the pretty screen and you can see the kids pictures. Easy.

I can also see Apple watching the data carefully and at some point deciding to bring out an IPAD2 or 3 that starts to bring in the capabilities of a low - mid range laptop. I could even see a gradual migration to the IPAD becoming the new standard for a laptop, but I think it will have to change to get there.

People who are power users, business users spend hours a day typing on a keyboard. No keyboard means they will NOT adopt it as a laptop replacement. It needs to have a real, high quality keyboard and mouse to be a laptop replacement.

It needs to be truely portable and that means some kind of integral protection for the display.

It needs to have a mouse and usb ports and sound and if you go that far it needs HDMI.

But I think that is for later. They are purposly limiting its functionality right now and watching where to take it next.

I have decided to wait another couple of months to see what the next IPAD looks like, if the price comes down like the IPHONE did and how Dell and others react. If Dell or HP actually bring out a true tablet PC with business capability it will be very attractive. Unfortunately I dont think that will happen and I am still thinking its an IPAD for me, but it will be mostly for my wife who is not a power user and a netbook replacement for her.[/QUOTE]

Have you held one in your hand to validate those comments? At 1.5 lbs I don't think it will be all that much of a strain. As far as I can tell it is no bigger nor heavier than a hardcover book and a lot thinner. Yet books are considered the ultimate portable media. Get a case to protect it...the binder case apple is selling is reinforced and soft on the inside to not scratch the screen. Wouldn't be any more inconvenient than carrying a periodical...throw it in a bag or briefcase, or carry it under your arm. I think you are overthinking what the device is and how large it is....it's not big at all.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ummm, ok my last post came in really weird and the edit button is missing...so this was my part to make it easier to read.

Have you held one in your hand to validate those comments? At 1.5 lbs I don't think it will be all that much of a strain. As far as I can tell it is no bigger nor heavier than a hardcover book and a lot thinner. Yet books are considered the ultimate portable media. Get a case to protect it...the binder case apple is selling is reinforced and soft on the inside to not scratch the screen. Wouldn't be any more inconvenient than carrying a periodical...throw it in a bag or briefcase, or carry it under your arm. I think you are overthinking what the device is and how large it is....it's not big at all.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For better or worse I have spent way to much time on this forum and the web in general the past 3-4 weeks looking for scraps of info on this stupid gadget. Whether sitting at my desk with a pain in my neck or sitting in a LazyBoy with a hot MacBook on my lap I have thought I would rather have a 1.5 pound iPad rather than the computer I am using. I can hardly wait until it gets here.

We should take a poll for the people who have decided to not pre-order an iPad to see how many have ordered one within 10 days of getting their hands on one.

jhowton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like the Amazon "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_286249822_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000490441&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=18FRKW2RNTHGQC4WAAZ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1252722222&pf_rd_i=133141011"]Kindle Apps For Tablet Computers[/ame]" page is up.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quote]

Turn it sideways and it is about the same size as reading a paperback book. What's the problem?[/QUOTE]

I have my IPAD on order, but I can answer your question. A paper back book will not break if you drop it, it contains no glass.

A paper back book will git into your pocket.

I have a computer case that I carry when I travel, but it has a computer in it.

Many people have trouble reading books on a computer screen, like my wife. She will not even try my Kindle because she has had such bad experience trying to read an LCD screen at work all day long. It gives her headaches.

Most paperback books are light and easy to hold in one hand. I have yet to try the experience with the new IPAD and need to give it a try before I say it is a replacement for my paperback book like the Kindle is.

The other thing to consider is having had my Kindle for a long time, the book you most want to read is not available in electronic format. Unless you are reading the same book that everyone else is reading, or a "classic" then you cant get it in any format but plain old paper.

History books, of which I have hundreds from various publishers - none of them are available in electronic format.

Most technical books and manuals are not available.

Murphy's law holds true. Heck, even a lot of popular literature is not availabe yet.

I think that as an in home, lug around web browser, watching streaming video while in the bathtub (where I do read with my Kindle) or chacking the news at bed time while in bed, I think the IPAD will be great. Also I can repurpose the IPOD in the bedroom since I can stream my music from ITUNES and have access to all my playlists and all 7000 songs.

I am looking forward to getting the IPAD but I think that for myself, the jury is out on wether it is a great electronic book device or not. If it turns out its great, then I can reserve the Kindle for when I am on the road and need the portability.

Most reactions

Latest posts