What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle Books On The iPad

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Kindle app on both my iPad and my Droid phone. Both devices sync to the kindle library so all my books are available on both devices. I will say...and this may sound odd...I read more on my Droid phone than I do on my iPad. I always have my phone with me while the iPad is not always with me. And as stated in one of the first responses there are just too many other options to do other things on the iPad.

Nate

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Kindle app on both my iPad and my Droid phone. Both devices sync to the kindle library so all my books are available on both devices. I will say...and this may sound odd...I read more on my Droid phone than I do on my iPad. I always have my phone with me while the iPad is not always with me. And as stated in one of the first responses there are just too many other options to do other things on the iPad.

Nate

I have my Kindle Books on: iPad, iPhone, MAC, and Tablet PC netbook! iPad is the one I read them on unequivocally the most, but it's not odd at all that you cite your Droid phone. Just like you said-it's always with you. My iPhone is always with me, and I do read books on it at times, but usually I am using it for the phone, a quick look up of something , game apps if I'm in a waiting room at a physician, and also productivity apps of bill paying, etc. iPad I use for e-reading, comfy web surfing in bed, note-taking at work, PDF annotation and other things too. In a way, I just cited how the iPad really is not just a "big iPhone" for me.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Nook, not a Kindle, but reading on the e-reader is far superior to the iPad. I love my iPad, but when it comes to reading the Nook or Kindle is the way to go. It's easier on the eyes for long term reading and it weighs very little.

Lorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a number of kindle books on my ipad. What I don't know how to do is save my kindle books on my pc. When I sync my ipad with my pc everything else I have (movies, photos etc) sync but not my kindle books. I can't find them anywhere on my pc. What do I have to do to back them up on my pc?

Reaction score
Lorie said:
I have a number of kindle books on my ipad. What I don't know how to do is save my kindle books on my pc. When I sync my ipad with my pc everything else I have (movies, photos etc) sync but not my kindle books. I can't find them anywhere on my pc. What do I have to do to back them up on my pc?

You cannot backup Kindle books via iTunes.

If you want to read kindle books on your pc, you should download the Kindle program, as it allows you to download and read all purchased kindle books.

But if you just want to back them up, there is little need, as the books are stored by Amazon and can be re-downloaded free of charge as many times as you want.

Lorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info. So I don't have to worry about deleting them from my ipad because I can download them again from Amazon. I will check that out in Amazon - is there a special place to go where I can see all my books?

Reaction score
There are two places to look for your ebooks

-in the Kindle app under 'Archived Items' (it will show all purchased ebooks, which are not yet downloaded onto the app)
-on Amazon under 'Your Account->View your Kindle orders' (it shows all purchased ebooks)

And yes, you don't have to worry about deleting ebooks from the app. Deleted apps will just move to the Archived Items and csn be re-downloaded from there.

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and, for me, if I'm gonna be reading for more than an hour then the Kindle is the way to go. It's much easier on my eyes than the backlit iPad.

However, if I just want to get in a chapter before bed and don't feel like fiddling with the lights, then the Kindle app is perfect. I find that the white text on black background is a little easier on the eyes.

It's awesome that Kindle syncs across multiple apps. I have the app for Android and its nice to have something to read when stuck in grocery store lines or whatever.

kraemder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stumbled across this thread so I'm replying. I had the kindle3 before my iPad2 I got a little while ago. I haven't used the kindle to read a book since except for the text to speech feature which for some reason isn't on the iPad version. I'm hoping they correct that. Kindle is a great device but I love my iPad.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stumbled across this thread so I'm replying. I had the kindle3 before my iPad2 I got a little while ago. I haven't used the kindle to read a book since except for the text to speech feature which for some reason isn't on the iPad version. I'm hoping they correct that. Kindle is a great device but I love my iPad.

My wife is the same. She has been an avid Kindle reader for over 18 months but since she got her iPad2 she has given the Kindle to our daughter. Wife much prefers the iPad2 to read on.
I have never used a Kindle but I must say I find reading on the iPad to be easy and in fact it has restarted my book reading after a couple of years of doing very little.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too read nearly all of my books on the iPad since I got it. The Kindle is great, but I like not having to switch devices. And reading on the iPad is just as easy for me as the Kindle.
The only thing I wish Amazon would change is allow 'collections' or folders for the books appearing on my iPad. Right now the ones I read recently appear on my iPad Kindle app and I can view all in my archives. But, the list is getting so long and I don't see any way to file them using the Kindle for iPad app. I can sort them by author or title, but that is all. Would be nice to make folders or collections so I wouldn't have to sort through a few hundred books to find the one I want to read next.

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zorah said:
I have my Kindle Books on: iPad, iPhone, MAC, and Tablet PC netbook! iPad is the one I read them on unequivocally the most, but it's not odd at all that you cite your Droid phone. Just like you said-it's always with you. My iPhone is always with me, and I do read books on it at times, but usually I am using it for the phone, a quick look up of something , game apps if I'm in a waiting room at a physician, and also productivity apps of bill paying, etc. iPad I use for e-reading, comfy web surfing in bed, note-taking at work, PDF annotation and other things too. In a way, I just cited how the iPad really is not just a "big iPhone" for me.

I must say the kindle is definitely my preferred device for reading outdoors in the bright light. Also somewhat easier to hold when reading in bed at night. However the print clarity is better on the iPad.

terimotley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you get an app to use text to speech to read a Kindle book on an iPad? I want to get a book for my disabled son which does not yet have an audiobooks version. He has an iPad. If there is no such app, does the Kindle have text to speech?

jarkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love this ipad2. help please, how to set book reader to read entire book, I ca just get two pages. thanks.

On my ipad2 white64 wi Fi.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
terimotley said:
Can you get an app to use text to speech to read a Kindle book on an iPad? I want to get a book for my disabled son which does not yet have an audiobooks version. He has an iPad. If there is no such app, does the Kindle have text to speech?

The iPad has a text to speech setting. Settings - accessibility - Speak Selection and then turn it on. You then can modulate the speech to the speed you want. You do have to press on the text that you want spoken by long pressing the text and boxing it though. Hope it helps.

Edit: I've just tried this on the Kindle app and it doesn't appear to work here, such a pity. Sorry! May come in handy for other things though.

Welcome to the Forum also!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions