What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keynote

Mjj455

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just about mastered this program, but I'm baffled by one element. I would like to add videos to my presentations. I have added the videos to my iPad through iTunes, and they are in the correct format. They live in the "videos" folder on the iPad. When in keynote, when I chose to insert media, the only folder that comes up is my "photo albums". What am I doing wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, that took a little experimenting.

You need to import the videos into the Photo app, not Movies.

If you use a Mac, then import your videos into iPhoto, create an album and store them there. That will make it easier to sync and find them later.

On a PC create a folder in the same place you keep all the other photo folders you sync with your iPad. Copy your videos into the folder.

On both. Plug your iPad into the computer and select it in iTunes. Go to the Photo sync settings. Make sure the sync video's box is checked. Now select the album/folder with the videos. Sync the iPad. If any of the video formats are incompatible with the iPad's native ability to play them you will get a warning and those videos will not sync.

You can quickly look at what video's synced and play them in the Photos app.

Now when you go to Keynote and add media you should see your new album with the videos in it.

EODtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just about mastered this program, but I'm baffled by one element.

I wish I were that lucky, just starting here and I have a few "basic" Keynote questions..

1. Is it possible to create a Keynote presentation on my iMac and export it to my iPad or do I need the iPad Keynote application to do this ?

2. Is there a Keynote of the iPad tutorial / manual for reference?

TIA

HiLandR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, that took a little experimenting.

You need to import the videos into the Photo app, not Movies.

If you use a Mac, then import your videos into iPhoto, create an album and store them there. That will make it easier to sync and find them later.

On a PC create a folder in the same place you keep all the other photo folders you sync with your iPad. Copy your videos into the folder.

On both. Plug your iPad into the computer and select it in iTunes. Go to the Photo sync settings. Make sure the sync video's box is checked. Now select the album/folder with the videos. Sync the iPad. If any of the video formats are incompatible with the iPad's native ability to play them you will get a warning and those videos will not sync.

You can quickly look at what video's synced and play them in the Photos app.

Now when you go to Keynote and add media you should see your new album with the videos in it.

Great write up! :cool:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just about mastered this program, but I'm baffled by one element.

I wish I were that lucky, just starting here and I have a few "basic" Keynote questions..

1. Is it possible to create a Keynote presentation on my iMac and export it to my iPad or do I need the iPad Keynote application to do this ?

2. Is there a Keynote of the iPad tutorial / manual for reference?

TIA

If you want to be able to export the file as a .ppt or .pptx file then you'll need a third-party app, such as Keynote. If you email the presentation to yourself, then the basic iPad (without Keynote) can display the attachment, but you don't have any of the facilities that you'd typically want and are used to in, say, PowerPoint. However, you could export your presentation as a .pdf format file and then the iPad's iBooks app would be able to display.

In terms of a 'reference manual', the Apple site has a sort of basic Help tutorial at

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

You need to be aware that the iPad's Keynote app is a very much stripped down program and complex formatting can sometimes cause it 'problems'.

Tim
Scotland

anonaboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RE: a Keynote reference... I found "Keynote for iPad" by Tom Negrino quite helpful. It's very basic but as such makes the entire Keynote process logical. I got mine through Amazon. BJ

Most reactions

Latest posts