What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard?

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got my first tablet, the New iPad, iPad 3 (very confusing) but i've been using android smartphones for a while. Finally got an iPad (YAY!) only to discover the keyboard is really terrible compared to what I'm used to. I tried looking for apps to help since I really love the swipe capabilities on my android phone keyboard but found nothing that really works. Is my only option really a separate physical keyboard? Why is the almighty Apple OS going with such a simple, hard to use keyboard? Are there any other options here?

Thanks,
Kb

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaybyrd said:
Hi All,

Just got my first tablet, the New iPad, iPad 3 (very confusing) but i've been using android smartphones for a while. Finally got an iPad (YAY!) only to discover the keyboard is really terrible compared to what I'm used to. I tried looking for apps to help since I really love the swipe capabilities on my android phone keyboard but found nothing that really works. Is my only option really a separate physical keyboard? Why is the almighty Apple OS going with such a simple, hard to use keyboard? Are there any other options here?

Thanks,
Kb

Some folks can type 60+ wpm on that horrible keyboard. There are some tricks to speed up the typing and you can use dictation. But short of jail breaking your iPad, you cannot replace the keyboard on ios.

AvaMoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to say that a wireless keyboard is certainly the best option. Typing on screen is never going to be easy, no matter what little configurations you use. I recommend something with hard keys, the rubber key varieties still make typing slow going. You can pick up a nice hard key keyboard on amazon or ebay for around 10-15 pounds.

Skysurferdude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently aquired a wirelss keyboard for my iPad 2 and am happy with it for typing longer emails, etc. when extended typing is required. My question is why does it not have additional functionality capability for controlling the ipad remotely by using function keys as it seems to support for MACS. It would be handy sometimes to be able to use the keyboard to open and close apps, and effecitively remotely "touch" the screen to accomplish gestures (even though this may seem like defeating the purpose of having a touch screen device). I think it would just make the iPad that much more versatile a device. Am I really the only person curious about this?

NickyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude, the iPad keyboard rocks compared to android stock.

You can get a separate keyboard like the one from Adonit ( which is quite nice), works on iphone and PC too :)

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Apple keyboards are so much better than Androids - an iPhone user that formally was an Android user. I bought a portable keyboard that was ranked highly on Amazon for the most affordable price. I use it now and then. But the keyboard on the iPad itself suits me just fine for every day use.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS stock keyboard is better than Android stock keyboard (at least till JB) but in the Android Market are several keyboards that are far better than iPad keyboard.

Most reactions

Latest posts