What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you mean an external keyboard, I had bought one but found I wasted my money! I prefer to use the existing one on the ipad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use word document and do a lot of typing, I believe it would be more worth it, correct? No other reason to buy it then, right?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my Apple BT keyboard when i am writing quite a lot--its more comfortable but otherwise I use the screen. i can touch type on both quite fast. i also have a Logitech ultrathin case for the Ipad 3 but the 3 went to my husband and I won't buy one for the Air. I find the Apple light and easily carried if i need to but in general, unless you write quite a bit--I don't think it is worthwhile.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use word document and do a lot of typing, I believe it would be more worth it, correct? No other reason to buy it then, right?

Well, your received a number of posts suggesting going either way - so you really need to decide on your own needs, i.e. if you need to be typing in a LOT of data (e.g. emails, Pages, or other apps), then I would definitely suggest a BT keyboard (KB) - easy to use & not that expensive. For myself, I have an iPad 2 (about to upgrade to an iPad Air) since spring of 2011 and have had the Apple BT KB since that time - my uses: 1) Data entry (Pages, Recipe app, etc.); and 2) Emails & Forum responses when 'on the road' - I really hate using the 'on-screen' KB for entering a lot of data; SO, if you are still undecided, then visit an Apple Store and give the KB a try on some tasks that you may find irritating to do w/ the OS KB - Dave :)

TotallyDavis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got one and even video demonstrated it (skip to 5 minutes and 13 seconds for the keyboard part):

I think it's great; it turns the iPad from a play machine into real laptop in my opinion, and with all the great writing apps out there it's an essential addition. And now that I found I can even pair it to my phone in a pinch, I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I will look into a new KB. What's the best app for writing documents? Anyone?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks I will look into a new KB. What's the best app for writing documents? Anyone?

Hi again Donnie - depends on whether you want to just make some notes and/or write multi-page manuscripts? For myself, I have Pages & Evernote on my iPad; Pages is part of the iWork suite & can import Word documents, if that is important to you? Now there are other office apps, so you might want to pay a visit to the App Store and do a search, or I'm sure others will 'chime in' w/ their personal favorites.

You'll also need some way to prop up the iPad - my two 'simple' solutions are to use the foldable 'smart cover' (a little unstable) or preferably the inexpensive and 'travel friendly' stand shown below; of course, there are more elegant and involved stands, cases, etc. Good luck in your choice(s) - Dave :)

41VXqSrbEsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all that info. I got Open Office doc On my PC. This is what I need. Something like that that has spell and grammar check. also I got a simple cover stand, that covers the entire iPad for protection while at the same time use it as a stand when opening it up. But I am going to get a key board which will be useful as a stand too. I may find other useful features with the key board as well. Plus the keyboards are inexpensive to me. I'm in the process of transferring two decades of computer usage and experience onto Apple. Just getting used to the new features of Apple IPad. The ios7 iPad I got now just about takes the place of a PC except I got to get used of everything. So convenient to carry, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts