What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard question

mhogard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a stupid question. I have a fold up keyboard with a USB cord. Is it possible to buy a male and female ending USB connector to hook my Ipad to this keyboard?

Thanks for your help

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. The only way (AFIK) to use an external keyboard is with bluetooth.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Plug your USB keyboard in to the USB camera adapter. This will work just fine. Just make sure it's a simple keyboard with no USB bus. That confuses the iPad to think it's something other than a keyboard. Here's a Dell keyboard connected:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU8JO7HMKuU]YouTube - USB Keyboard connected to iPad Camera Connection Kit[/ame]

Piko

OP
M

mhogard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
usb bus?

The keyboard only has a usb connector. Unfortunately, I don't know what a usb bus is?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To clarify what pik0 says, you need to purchase the Apple Camera Connection kit separately, then plug in the one that has the USB plug into the bottom of your iPad. Then plug your keyboard into that.

And what pik0 means re: the USB bus is the keyboard should not have any other USB plugs in it. It should be a plain keyboard with no ability to plug anything else into it.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Thanks for the clarification PurpleOrchid. From what I've read elsewhere, if the keyboard also allows other USB devices to be connected (USB bus), then the iPad sees it as two devices on the connector. There are other videos on YouTube that demonstrate what happens when you use a keyboard like this (like the apple wired keyboard).

So, the trick is plug in a USB keyboard that allows no other connections whatsoever. :)

Piko

OP
M

mhogard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keyboard

Thanks for all your help. I'll get the connector. This is a great place

Mhogard

Most reactions

Latest posts