What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just ordered a car mount from PadHoldr

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In Australia you would be called a "Big noter" Robert, here we just call you a bit "narcissistic".

Nice iPad car mount though...:)

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed it last night but it was too dark to take pics. I'll post a pic up of it installed tonight.

Let me just state. WOW! I love it!

Not sure what it would be used for aside from trips with the navigation app?
Maybe for your passenger?

I think I would wreck if I was surfing the forums on the way to work...:D

It will allow Robin to hunt down the Joker, while Batman is trying not to hit the little old lady crossing the street.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it a lot, thanks for posting the pictures and all the info!

There's some ipad related apps out there but I'm hoping for a complete front end dedicated for the iPad. So instead of using the Spring board directly, you'd launch this app everytime you'd hop on the car, with a better interface for launching the apps you need, etc... Big buttons, daylight friendly colors, etc. not a bunch of small icons scattered everywhere.

You should try, if you've not already, Flick Tunes, which is a great app to change tunes on your ipad with gestures, while also displaying song info in big fonts, together with the album art. Lots of programmable gestures available.

Check this link for more suggestions, hope some can help.

Cheers,

RHurst.

OP
RobertBasil

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
I like it a lot, thanks for posting the pictures and all the info!

There's some ipad related apps out there but I'm hoping for a complete front end dedicated for the iPad. So instead of using the Spring board directly, you'd launch this app everytime you'd hop on the car, with a better interface for launching the apps you need, etc... Big buttons, daylight friendly colors, etc. not a bunch of small icons scattered everywhere.

You should try, if you've not already, Flick Tunes, which is a great app to change tunes on your ipad with gestures, while also displaying song info in big fonts, together with the album art. Lots of programmable gestures available.

Check this link for more suggestions, hope some can help.

Cheers,

RHurst.

RHurst,

I've been a member of MP3Car for almost almost 5 years, I agree.... great resource. I'm RBasil over there. :)

I've played with a bunch of different windows based front ends over the years for some of my other Carputer installs, would love to see one made available for a jailbroken iPad.

Last edited:

Dawgs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you post a review of the pros and cons?

I've looked at this and am interested how it would mount in my Infiniti QX56.

Thanks

AAD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent write up of my product! I'm the owner of padholdr.com I want to say our product has done very well the past couple of months with help of customers writing excellent reviews like this one.

Thanks again
Jim

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AAD,

Any plans to upgrade this unit so that it also charges your iPad, similar to what Tom-Tom makes for the iPhone?

Any questions regarding legality of mounting the iPad within sight of the driver? Especially since you can watch movies and what not?

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about the legality. As you said, people do use the iPhone hanging on the windshield too, and iPhones are perfectly capable of playing movies, videos, cartoons, etc.

Of course, if the cop is stupid, he can claim pretty much anything he wants.

I'd like to see the iPad docked, too, to charge and connect to the car audio, without having to plug anything.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right, was just curious since car dvd makers go to such lengths to stop folks from viewing dvd's while driving.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to see the iPad docked, too, to charge and connect to the car audio, without having to plug anything.
If you can figure out a way to charge an iPad without connecting it to anything, you will become rich beyond your wildest imagination!

As far as connecting to your car's sound system, you could always go Bluetooth. There are sound systems with Bluetooth built in, or you can add a Bluetooth adapter to some existing sound systems, or you could go cheap and just put in a set of Bluetooth speakers in your car.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can figure out a way to charge an iPad without connecting it to anything, you will become rich beyond your wildest imagination!

What i meant to say, or course, is that's easier to use the dock connector for charging and audio output. I usually don't say I plug the iPad into the dock, I just dock it.

Oh yes, and there are wireless chargers for small devices for a long time already. Don't think it made anybody extremely rich, despite your prediction.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right, was just curious since car dvd makers go to such lengths to stop folks from viewing dvd's while driving.

Yeah, I think they go to such lengths to avoid litigation. Blame the trial lawyers for that.

In Germany, they can watch live TV on their nav screens. I did unlock my nav screen and I could do that, if I wanted to. Only I never do, usually my wife does when riding as a passenger just to keep the conversation going with the kids in the back.

People should just take more responsibility.

Dawgs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you post a review of the pros and cons?

I've looked at this and am interested how it would mount in my Infiniti QX56.

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts