What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my HHI leatherette flip case.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Infinity, be careful posting good reviews here... They'll call it a "fluff piece" and accuse you of posting SPAM. This is the last time I write a review on this forum.

OK...I'm gonna say it: I'd take ANYTHING Brad Groux says with a very small grain of salt. Look at his signature: "BradGroux: Blogger. Geek. Know it All. Smart Ass.
Then...if you have a strong stomach...read his blog.
Talk about a "FLUFF PIECE"...or as Brad so eloquently puts it: "fluff peace".
Nuff said.

I called it a fluff piece because of what seems like an affiliate link of outboundlink.net which is registered through a domain by proxy. I didn't just pull that information out of my ass, and no it isn't a problem with my computer as I can recreate it on four different machine, and it isn't there on ANY other link I click on these forums. Again, I've never seen this link before on any other link I've clicked on this forum so sue me if I am suspect. I did my homework, I didn't just read the post and respond... I did a WHOIS search, and tried recreating the outbound link as well as tried other links on the forums to confirm it.

Code:
http://outboundlink.net/anxo/dr_ta_1/goto.php?DR_id=1135&linkout=http%3A//www.handhelditems.com/

Iu1uc.png

The original poster spent half of the post talking about how cheap it was, he also offered a coupon code for "additional savings" which could easily be a referral code. That on top of the information I posted above is the reason I called the original post a fluff peace. Call me what you want but to me the evidence points to someone trying to make a buck in an dishonest way. I don't get my rocks off by going out of my way to try and prove that someone on the internet is dishonest, I have more important things to do.

Oh, and feel free to read the reviews across this forum... many of which are fluff pieces. So again, excuse the hell out of me for being suspect when I see something that just doesn't add up.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW

HandHeldItems is advertising all over this site. I bought a 8.99 gel case from them and it shipped to me in 3 days. $11.49 total. Case is great for what it does.

Can't say what OPs intention were, but HandHeldItems delivered what I paid for in a timely manner.

Here is their direct link: www . handhelditems . com

When pasted in normal, comes up with the OPs URL link as posted.

Last edited:
OP
M

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude... I'm justva guy who owns an iPad and bought a case from HHI after reading good reviews and finding a coupon code. I would hope that others would share that kind of info here, too. Yeah, imwas impressed at how inexpensive it was... I am happymwith the quality - other than, as I mentioned, the fact that itncovers the light sensor... Which is a piece of info that might not be found in a fluff piece.

I would bet that if anyone, even you Brad, typedmin their URL in this forum, it would be translated into that link. You don't have to try it, if you don't want to... But it would be nice if you acknowledged that I was not putting in some sort of nefarious link.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Dude... I'm justva guy who owns an iPad and bought a case from HHI after reading good reviews and finding a coupon code. I would hope that others would share that kind of info here, too. Yeah, imwas impressed at how inexpensive it was... I am happymwith the quality - other than, as I mentioned, the fact that itncovers the light sensor... Which is a piece of info that might not be found in a fluff piece.

I would bet that if anyone, even you Brad, typedmin their URL in this forum, it would be translated into that link. You don't have to try it, if you don't want to... But it would be nice if you acknowledged that I was not putting in some sort of nefarious link.

Hey man, I was just going by what I saw... sorry if it isn't true. The fact that you are still around pretty much answers that question. I'd still like to know where that URL comes from. I've clicked hundreds of links on this site and have only seen it on yours.

I've learned from reading this forum that if someone has less than 10 posts and they post a review or recommendation, that it is probably spam. See these examples - 1, 2... some even have multiple spammers in the same thread. Of all of the recommendations I've seen on this forum I think at least 30% of them are spam. For a post not to be perceived as spam it should be thorough, well written and include pictures or video when possible. If you have fewer than 10 posts the more information you post, the better.

Even people who aren't technically spamming can use affiliate links to try to make a buck, if and when they do that they should say they are. I saw that rogue link as an affiliate, and thus brought it up. Absolutely no clue what that site is or how it is in your post. Sorry for the mix up, but I'd still like to get to the bottom of it.

SugarMouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased a folio type case cheap but it's not a really good fit and does cover up the light sensor.

I came across this case from Griffin Technology but was wondering if there were other places to get a similar case? Notice the Ipad is held only by the corners.

Attachments

• ipad case.jpg
    ipad case.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 203

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a folio type case cheap but it's not a really good fit and does cover up the light sensor.

I came across this case from Griffin Technology but was wondering if there were other places to get a similar case? Notice the Ipad is held only by the corners.

hi the problem is if you want a slim one , need to be held by corner (with better or lesser solution) since you want a slide in one you must be thicker and some slide one can’t accept small cover (like Gel or TPU)

not so many choice in the middle for manufacturing reason

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, Thanks, mcbrew... Nice tip, and one of the types of things I go to iPad forums for. I ordered one before they ran out of the black and brown ones.
... Anyway you be right to disclose it, me too i hate affiliate spam
... Absolutely no clue what that site is or how it is in your post. Sorry for the mix up, but I'd still like to get to the bottom of it.
Yup. it is indeed curious. I may have some clues.
A little more investigation helps before we jump on the user with over 25 posts, and absolutely no pattern in those posts, of spamming.

That little bit more investigation shows that simply putting that website in the post, CREATES that interesting link.
  • All you have to do is type... "http://www.handhelditems.com/" ...(without the quotation marks) anywhere in your post!
    [*]You do not even have to click on the insert link icon in the post editor.
"http://www.handhelditems.com/", (without quotes), expands itself, when you hit submit, or preview, to:
[-url=http://www.handhelditems.com/]Accessories For iPad, iPhone, iPod, Cellular, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Blackberry, LG and all Smartphones[-/url]"
(without the dashes)

which then looks like:
" Accessories For iPad, iPhone, iPod, Cellular, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Blackberry, LG and all Smartphones "

Try it yourself. Very interesting.
I haven't tried it on everything, but I know it works this way in both Chrome, and Firefox.

I hope this incident won't put a damper on people wanting to come here to the forums to pass on useful tips and deals that they find.
That would be a disaster.

OP
M

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stever, I appreciate your effort. At least someone took the time to try typing the URL and had the same thing happen to them. Is HHI affiliated with this site? Maybe that's why there is an automatic link created. I don't know. I certainly don't want to go around assuming things that I know nothing about.

By the way, when entering amlot of text in a box, such as typing a reply on a forum like this one, is there an easy way to scroll up and down within the box?

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing for sure is that HHI has a lot of coupon codes floating around the web which makes their stuff a great bargain. I grabbed a couple of items yesterday.

SugarMouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought that exact case from amazon for $32. I love it!

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Can you supply the item number or any info so I can find the one you purchased?

Colsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved the look of this case and $12.99 was a really good price. But I think $20 shipping to Canada is a bit steep.

SugarMouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Can you supply the item number or any info so I can find the one you purchased?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GB01550-Elan-Passport/dp/B003CKAQ7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274418443&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Elan Passport for Ipad: Electronics[/ame]

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved the look of this case and $12.99 was a really good price. But I think $20 shipping to Canada is a bit steep.

I too dont even have an ipad but will get this case -- just in case,,,i break down and get one. Or whenever i do i will be ready.
HOpe this code: "ipadflipkstand' still works when they get 'em back in at HH????~!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts