What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just feel like raging

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I start up my computer and hear a series of pops and then a ton of smoke. Turns out the power supply shorted and blew blowing out both of my hard drives in the process. :(

Just feel like letting it out...

Anyone been there done that?

The icing on the cake is that one hard drive was my primary and the other was a backup.

Attachments

• image-2020594594.jpg
    image-2020594594.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jawa6306 said:
I start up my computer and hear a series of pops and then a ton of smoke. Turns out the power supply shorted and blew blowing out both of my hard drives in the process. :(

Just feel like letting it out...

Anyone been there done that?

The icing on the cake is that one hard drive was my primary and the other was a backup.

Data may still be recoverable if it is worth the fee to remount the platter to another controller. I have business partners that provide this service ( which has a surprisingly high success rate). We have had several desktops where the HDD has died without warning. As long as the drive was in park at the time of the failure there is likely no damage to the platter. Liken it to a record player going south with your favorite LP mounted. If the needle was parked and not on the LP when the unit failed the record doesn't get scratched and can simply be played on a new record player. If however the needle was dragged across the LP surface scratches will render the LP unplayable.

If you google data recovery services I'm sure you can find a local company that performs this service.

OP
jawa6306

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it could be recovered but thankfully most of the data I had on them was trivial. I can restore music and movies directly from my iPod and the programs and such are also easily replaced. I had all my undergrad work saved in Dropbox so it's all safe. The only thing I am really mad about losing (and this will seem stupid to some people) was my Minecraft game save :/ I had a lot of hours building my little world but those are gone now.

What disappoints me is I just lost a power supply, as well as more than $200 in hard drives.

Thankfully the board, processor, and graphics card came through unscathed. I would have been even more mad if my new graphics card got fried. Already have a new power supply installed and just looking for a hard drive I own that'll work.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
There is opportunity in adversity. Get a Mac.
:)
AA

Or at least a better quality power supply. I've unfortunately learned that lesson a while ago. My, my .. How things never change.

OP
jawa6306

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
I hope you get everything sorted out Jawa6306, nothing worse than a power surge to mash a PC, Time to invest in a power surge protector, around £20 and worth every penny!!

This was the actual power supply inside the computer that failed. I have a $120 UPS that protects my computer, Xbox, televisions, etc. from power surge and outages.

Though my 3.5" primary is toast the mechanics on the 2.5" are unscathed. The logic board blew before harm could come to it. I'm going to try and swap in an identical board and see if it works.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts