What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jumped from the iPad 1 to the iPad 4...

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Hi all,

I finally made the move to a new iPad 4 Wifi... It's really great!

I was waiting as long as I could with the iPad 1 as it is still working perfectly well. The issues I was facing was random crashes in the AppStore and some apps would not update anymore because they require iOS 6 as the minimum. I finally decided that after more than 2 years with the 1st version, it was time to move to the last one (iPad 4).

Essentially, the only major difference between the 1 and the 4 is the display. The iPad Retina display is way more crisper than the iPad 1. It's not that it was not great already, but better than good is always a winner. Here are a few things I noticed after switching to the iPad 4:

- Safari is faster
- The AppStore is nicer, and does not crash
- Overall loading time for apps is faster
- No more lags when entering text in some apps/Safari/AppStore
- Some games look better with the new hardware specs

I cannot say the iPad 4 is a new experience compared to the old iPad 1. It's just a "better" experience. So if you think about upgrading to the latest and greatest to discover tons of new experiences, you will be disappointed. But if you're looking for a better experience, some new key features and essentially keeping your daily routine, the upgrading may worth it.

I still have my iPad 1, and probably will use it from time to time as a second display for some work. Every apps that are compatible with the iPad 1 are still working perfectly (beside "The Walking Dead"). Maybe the next new new iPad will be different, so you may want to wait until then if you're looking for a totally new experience. But for those who feel that they need to upgrade from the old iPad 1, you will find a "better than good" experience and will be happy that you made the move.

My 2 cents!

Vicopad addick!

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting and helpful. I just went from iPad 1 to mini. I decided I was ready for a new one, and though I knew I wouldn't get the newest screen the size and weight convenience and camera and I got 32g...I'm not disappointed so far...but interested in your view of the iPad 4. Others?
Hi all,

I finally made the move to a new iPad 4 Wifi... It's really great!

I was waiting as long as I could with the iPad 1 as it is still working perfectly well. The issues I was facing was random crashes in the AppStore and some apps would not update anymore because they require iOS 6 as the minimum. I finally decided that after more than 2 years with the 1st version, it was time to move to the last one (iPad 4).

Essentially, the only major difference between the 1 and the 4 is the display. The iPad Retina display is way more crisper than the iPad 1. It's not that it was not great already, but better than good is always a winner. Here are a few things I noticed after switching to the iPad 4:

- Safari is faster
- The AppStore is nicer, and does not crash
- Overall loading time for apps is faster
- No more lags when entering text in some apps/Safari/AppStore
- Some games look better with the new hardware specs

I cannot say the iPad 4 is a new experience compared to the old iPad 1. It's just a "better" experience. So if you think about upgrading to the latest and greatest to discover tons of new experiences, you will be disappointed. But if you're looking for a better experience, some new key features and essentially keeping your daily routine, the upgrading may worth it.

I still have my iPad 1, and probably will use it from time to time as a second display for some work. Every apps that are compatible with the iPad 1 are still working perfectly (beside "The Walking Dead"). Maybe the next new new iPad will be different, so you may want to wait until then if you're looking for a totally new experience. But for those who feel that they need to upgrade from the old iPad 1, you will find a "better than good" experience and will be happy that you made the move.

My 2 cents!

Vicopad addick!

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 1 is/was a great tablet but unfortunately it is outdated in the main fact that it only has 256 megs of ram. The iPad 2 has 512 megs and the ipads 3 & 4 both have 1 gig. The iPad 2 does ok with the 512 since it doesn't have the retina display.

Back when I was jailbroken I could see the ram on the iPad 1 dip very low, very quickly causing quite a few app crashes (apps closing immediately as soon as being opened). This problem became almost nonexistent once the 512 megs of ram came out on the iPad 2 and has been pretty much smooth sailing ever since.

Enjoy your new iPad 4 and you your new mini!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just gave away my 3G iPad 1 64GB. Too slow, too many crashes. I got my money's worth and have passed on the iPad to a kid who couldn't afford one. I'm sure that he and his siblings will have fun with it, and I feel good about that.

I'm still using my iPad 2 and have an iPad 4 as well, both 64GB with cellular. I expect to replace iPad 2 with iPad 5. iPad 2 has started to show its age as well.

Most reactions