What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jb 4.3.3 to 5.01 jb?

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my jb 4.3.3 wifi 32gb near perfectly tweaked.i have my blob,but trying to resave it(just to be sure) ish**** said it was no longer signing the firmware???

So,i have my back up in itunes.can i go forward and update to 5.01 and jb without losing anything?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use one of the Backup managers from Cydia to backup all your Cydia apps and tweaks, then either SSH/FTP your games/other apps to your PC as a backup, or back them up through iTunes

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have my jb 4.3.3 wifi 32gb near perfectly tweaked.i have my blob,but trying to resave it(just to be sure) ish**** said it was no longer signing the firmware???

So,i have my back up in itunes.can i go forward and update to 5.01 and jb without losing anything?

Sure you can upgrade! And, Cydia is just like the App Store in that you can always go back and get the stuff you've had before at no additional charge.

However, I would caution you on using a backup tweak to save your jail break information. I swear by PKGBackup ($7.99, USD, Cydia). However, as you are moving to a major firmware change (4.x to 5.x), I would not use it. There are probably many tweaks you have on your 4.3.3. iPad that are not yet compatible with iOS 5.0.1. Any backup program will try to load ALL the stuff you've had on the iPad previously - which may cause an error in your post jail break.

My suggestion would be to (1) do a full backup in iTunes, (2) write down all the Cydia tweaks you currently have loaded, (3) put iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad (recommend using the DFU mode method), (4) jailbreak using redsn0w and then (5) put your Cydia tweaks on the iPad by onesie and twosies. This will enable you to watch how the tweaks do so you know which one to uninstall should you see a problem.

Have a look at this sticky here: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html. We keep it pretty well up-to-date on iOS 5 compatible tweaks. May save you some time.

IMNSHO, the backup programs are great if you are restoring to the same iOS version or for minor upgrades within the version (e.g. 4.2.0 to 4.3.3). Way too much risk of an incompatibility if you use them to update a major change. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Good luck with the upgrade. Let us know if you have any questions or to just let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts