What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about downloading 5.01 IPSW

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if I were to download just the 5.01 IPSW, would it not be possible to upgrade whenever I am ready to upgrade? Or would I have to upgrade through iTunes right now. My iPad 2 is currently JB already running 4.3.3. Obviously I can't save Blobs, but then I'm tempted to upgrade now, wait a week, save the 5.01 SHSH blobs so I can have the iOS 5 on my iPad and be fully JB in the Untethered format.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I were to download just the 5.01 IPSW, would it not be possible to upgrade whenever I am ready to upgrade? Or would I have to upgrade through iTunes right now. My iPad 2 is currently JB already running 4.3.3. Obviously I can't save Blobs, but then I'm tempted to upgrade now, wait a week, save the 5.01 SHSH blobs so I can have the iOS 5 on my iPad and be fully JB in the Untethered format.

I don't quite figure out what you're asking, so let me just say...

You can only upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 as long as Apple is signing that firmware. Once Apple releases a new firmware, there will be about a 24-hour window before you can no longer load iOS 5.0.1 (it could be even smaller, who knows!). Having saved SHSH blobs for that firmware will not matter at this point - SHSH blobs are not worth anything for the iPad2 (as of right now).

And besides, saving SHSH blobs is a separate function from the iOS version you are running. You don't have to be running that version on your iPad, it just has to be the version that Apple is currently signing (e.g. their "approved" newest version).

What I am trying to say is: Be careful in that you don't get caught sitting on iOS 4.3.3. If a new firmware is released by Apple and you don't move up to iOS 5.0.1 before Apple stops signing it - regardless if there is a jailbreak for 5.0.1 or not - as it stands right now, you will NEVER be able to go to 5.0.1 after Apple closes that window. Your only option then will be to stay on a increasingly older iOS (4.3.3) or moving to Apple's newer firmware that may not ever get jail broke.

There, now that I've talked about all this, hopefully some of it addressed your question/concerns. If not, sorry - and ask again. :D

Marilyn

OP
D

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I don't quite figure out what you're asking, so let me just say...

You can only upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 as long as Apple is signing that firmware. Once Apple releases a new firmware, there will be about a 24-hour window before you can no longer load iOS 5.0.1 (it could be even smaller, who knows!). Having saved SHSH blobs for that firmware will not matter at this point - SHSH blobs are not worth anything for the iPad2 (as of right now).

And besides, saving SHSH blobs is a separate function from the iOS version you are running. You don't have to be running that version on your iPad, it just has to be the version that Apple is currently signing (e.g. their "approved" newest version).

What I am trying to say is: Be careful in that you don't get caught sitting on iOS 4.3.3. If a new firmware is released by Apple and you don't move up to iOS 5.0.1 before Apple stops signing it - regardless if there is a jailbreak for 5.0.1 or not - as it stands right now, you will NEVER be able to go to 5.0.1 after Apple closes that window. Your only option then will be to stay on a increasingly older iOS (4.3.3) or moving to Apple's newer firmware that may not ever get jail broke.

There, now that I've talked about all this, hopefully some of it addressed your question/concerns. If not, sorry - and ask again. :D

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

Your answer was sufficient! I was mainly wondering if we were to download a IPSW if I would be able to upgrade whenever I wished but now I know I don't thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPad 2 White 32GB WiFi using iPF

Most reactions