What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak ipad newb question - will i lose the apps now installed??

doberman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.shreditfast.com
Just pick up a 32GB Ipad used with a bunch of aps - I pretty well convinced I want/should jailbreak it. Been reading for a couple days and am wondering if I will lose the aps that are on the Ipad now, I don't want to lose them (he was a game freak and has 30-40 games he purchased). I'm sure this is a basic dumbA question thats been answered a thousand times.

Thanks much!!

blac2k8cs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will not lose any data if you jailbreak correctly however you will not be able to add apps from your itunes library to your ipad until you sync with your itunes library whether you are jailbroken or not. When you do this, you will lose any apps installed that you did not purchase yourself through itunes.

Last edited:
OP
D

doberman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.shreditfast.com
You will not lose any data if you jailbreak correctly however you will not be able to add apps from your itunes library to your ipad until you sync with your itunes library whether you are jailbroken or not. When you do this, you will lose any apps installed that you did not purchase yourself through itunes.

So any apps that I bought on the Ipad that the previous owner paid for and SOLD to me as part of the deal (I paid more for the Ipad based on the apps) will not be transferred to Itunes when I sink? The Ipad doesn't appear to have Itunes installed on it. I just installed it on my laptop and was going to look into istalling it on the Ipad. Still gettting up to speed on it. I'm sure I'll look back as these questions as rather dumb in a week or so.

Thanks for the reply

blac2k8cs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is correct, because your computer is not authorized to transfer those purchases to your library. You cannot install itunes on your ipad. Itunes is installed on the computer and is used to manage your files on your device and make purchases in the app store etc. If you sync your ipad to your itunes for the first time it will delete any apps that are not backed up into your itunes library, like the ones that you are not authorized to back up on your ipad since you did'nt purchase them. The only way you could do it is if you had the previous owners user account info for itunes to authorize your computer to play and backup the files.

Most reactions

Latest posts