What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iWorks and Google Docs Issue

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my intention was to store documents in Google docs so I can work on them at home on my PC and on my iPad when I am out. I can view the documents in Safari but they are read only and I cannot find a way to download the document to iWorks. Anyone have a way of doing this?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GDocs used to display the full site on iPad but for some reason they changes it to the mobile version with no option to go back.

My first day with the iPad I was able to dl an xls file from gdocs...but not anymore.

Now you would have to go on your docs account on a comp and dl the xls then either email it to yourself or add it to your ipad thru itunes.

I really wish they would make up and start integrating again!!!

Only the consumers are suffering in this idiotic war.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my intention was to store documents in Google docs so I can work on them at home on my PC and on my iPad when I am out. I can view the documents in Safari but they are read only and I cannot find a way to download the document to iWorks. Anyone have a way of doing this?

Check this out-I copied a Pages file into Google Docs-opened it up on My Ipad and it was read only. Took a PPT presentation I have in Google Docs and did the same thing-in the top left corner just under the bookmark bar there was an option box to open in Keynote. I have pages loaded on my Ipad along with Keynote. Why the difference between the two apps? Keynote was able to convert it, and open whereas the Pages file was read only like you mentioned.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was having issues trying to use google docs on the iPad as well. I'm hoping Google will release an optimized version specifically for the iPad.

OP
AZRaptor

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GDocs used to display the full site on iPad but for some reason they changes it to the mobile version with no option to go back.

My first day with the iPad I was able to dl an xls file from gdocs...but not anymore.

Now you would have to go on your docs account on a comp and dl the xls then either email it to yourself or add it to your ipad thru itunes.

I really wish they would make up and start integrating again!!!

Only the consumers are suffering in this idiotic war.

I found a pair of links at the bottom of the page for Mobile | Desktop but even switching to desktop didn't let me revise it in the browser like on an actual desktop or laptop PC. I could download PDFs, but not docs.

OP
AZRaptor

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought some little app called GoDocs which let's me download the documents, I just need to find where they are saved so I can open them iWorks. Man do I wish I had a PC-like file system browser I could look at on this thing.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought some little app called GoDocs which let's me download the documents, I just need to find where they are saved so I can open them iWorks. Man do I wish I had a PC-like file system browser I could look at on this thing.

I agree, im all for an invisible experience, but at least have downloaded items available for view and manipulation...just keep the system and app files invisible.

OP
AZRaptor

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received an e-mail from support for GoDocs and they should be releaseing an update next week which will let you launch the docs in the iWorks apps.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received an e-mail from support for GoDocs and they should be releaseing an update next week which will let you launch the docs in the iWorks apps.

Well if they get that then I will get godocs.

Most reactions