What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've searched but nothing

Stu9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why's the ipad got no usb, it's probably been asked million times but like i say, i searched and got dam all

I know there's the cloud, it is just as easy or no...i'm just used to having usb and it's putting me off getting an ipad, should it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please do not post the same question in multiple threads. Besides fragmenting the conversation, duplicate posting is against our rules. Your other post has been deleted.

I've moved this thread to iPad General Discussions, where it will receive more attention.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stu9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put it there because i thought it more of a general that's all, and meant to delete from here and forgot...do you know why then

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
. . . . it's putting me off getting an ipad, should it?
I think that many many many people were/are thinking the same way, but they did go for it anyway. At least, it is true in my case.:eek:
I have android tablets which have either usb connector or flash-drive or both. But my daily companion is a trusty 1st gen iPad. After some struggles at the beginning due to the lack of connection to external drive, I became quite fond of the way the iPad works. Loading apps, books, and media on computer then sync. Storing, retrieving and streaming from our server work quite well. There is really no need for me to have external drive connection.
It is true that Apple products are different. One either loves or hates it. One thing for sure though, they work, and they work elegantly.

OP
S

Stu9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe 200 (Inc god!!) looked and said bugger all, or it's been asked that much I've upset you all, and if that's the case, why the hell is there nothing when I searched

Anyway, thanks Dave :)

Yea I'm very used to usb....the thing is though.....I've got alot on the hd on the pc and don't know how to get out from there to an iPad

This is a family orientated forum, please mind your language

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't believe 200 (Inc god!!) looked and said bugger all, or it's been asked that much I've pi55ed youall off, and if that's the case, why the hell is there nothing when I searched

Anyway, thanks Dave :) .................

Hi Dave - welcome to the forum! :) This has been an oft asked question (I've probably posted in a least a half dozen threads on this topic, i.e. HD connections to the iPad dock) - unfortunately, the search functions on this forum are not very helpful (unless I've not discovered how to use them effectively - don't know?).

But it's not so much the issue that you posed above, just that many of us 'have been there' and and are simply indifferent to addressing the same issue yet again - sorry. NOW, there are plenty of Wi-Fi storage options available for the iPad, e.g. I own the AirStash; the Apotop Wi-Reader is yet another choice - others exist, and there are a number of dedicated threads discussing several of these devices.

Appears that you have not yet bought an iPad - you may receive a better response if you pose your storage needs/goals if you do obtain the device - good luck. Dave

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why's the ipad got no usb, it's probably been asked million times but like i say, i searched and got dam all I know there's the cloud, it is just as easy or no...i'm just used to having usb and it's putting me off getting an ipad, should it?

I can't believe 200 (Inc god!!) looked and said bugger all, or it's been asked that much I've upset you all, and if that's the case, why the hell is there nothing when I searched

Anyway, thanks Dave :)

Yea I'm very used to usb....the thing is though.....I've got alot on the hd on the pc and don't know how to get out from there to an iPad

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I guessed you were also an Aussie from your terminology! ;)

As far as many seeing your question and not answering, some may not know the answer, some may be only viewing the Forum but not registered and so can't answer your question, others may be looking for their own answers. Keep in mind this is a world wide Forum in many different time zones and as such it may take some time for the right members to see your question and answer you.

I've just done a search on this subject and did get a few hits.....vary the words you're using and try again, but having said that asking a question like 'why doesn't the iPad have a USB' may not get you a straight answer as such You're more likely going to bring up threads that give you workarounds to the problem. It's just a given that an iPad doesn't have a USB port.

I also wondered at the lack of a USB when first buying an iPad, it's just what I was used to but I have found there are other ways to getting your info on or off the iPad and a USB is not needed. So no, it shouldn't put you off buying an iPad.....there are many workarounds as mydave and Giradman have also mentioned.

What is it that you have on your PC that you would like to transfer to an iPad? iTunes can be used for many things, there are also apps that interact between your PC and iPad, Dropbox being a very good one and free. Email can be utilised also, so let us know what it is that you would like transferred.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are plenty of ways to get files to and from the iPad. I agree that a USB would be nice but then we'd lose some of the lightness and portability that most of us love so much. It would also violate apples closed fence system that is safe and secure. I used to be worried about that too but it's no longer a concern. Lots of ways to. Once files around! :)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the hardware in the present iPads, it's not possible to natively support USB ports. With Android tablets, the hardware is devoted for extreme multitasking and supports USB ports more easily because it can donate an entire core or two cores just to the data transfers, plus the battery and RAM allows for it. On the downside, if your USB is infected by first plugging it into an infected computer, then onto your device, you openly allowed for the virus/spyware/malware onto your device, and because sandboxing on Android is not as same as the heightened/multi-layer sandboxing that's present on iOS devices, it's a high-risk addition.

Apple's idea is to pack light and promote Cloud services. iCloud in itself isn't exactly the ideal example of "good" or "usable" Cloud service since it's limited in what you can host, but that would point towards services like Google Drive, DropBox, Box, Exchange Servers, VPNs, etc, which the iOS has semi-control over what goes in and out of the device. The reason would be because of security purposes, so that you're not openly introducing unwanted items to and from your device to protect your privacy and sensitive information. I agree that a USB port or some sort of add-on would do wonders on the iPad yes since 16GB flash drives runs you around $10 if not less compared to half a decade ago where it was $50/60 for medium/high-end high speed xfers like the Patriot Xtreme, but it does not allow for secure transfers of data to and from the device, and does not do well with travel as you can drop it. Possibly if they end up creating an Apple-exclusive type of chip that allows for innate sandboxing of data that requires a TouchID scan plus several layers of passcodes to eject out of the device, it may expand on the storage/sharing capabilities of iOS

Most reactions

Latest posts