What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes to iPad Library Sync from different connection?

jr2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, first post on here, please be nice and I hope someone can help? I'm not overly technical, so apologies..

So my sister is in South Africa with her iPad, she has a WiFi connection. What methods are there for her to access an iTunes library stored from a desktop here. I can sign in to her iTunes using her details, but the iPad she has in South Africa has not been attached via USB before so is not registered as a device on the desktop iTunes.

I know you can sync iTunes / iPad via WiFi, but I'm guessing that has to be the same connection (i.e. not one from half way across the World).

Would there be any other options for her to access different media like songs or movies? I was thinking uploading to FTP or can she access our home network some how?

Thanks in advance.
JR

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jr2012 said:
Hello, first post on here, please be nice and I hope someone can help? I'm not overly technical, so apologies..

So my sister is in South Africa with her iPad, she has a WiFi connection. What methods are there for her to access an iTunes library stored from a desktop here. I can sign in to her iTunes using her details, but the iPad she has in South Africa has not been attached via USB before so is not registered as a device on the desktop iTunes.

I know you can sync iTunes / iPad via WiFi, but I'm guessing that has to be the same connection (i.e. not one from half way across the World).

Would there be any other options for her to access different media like songs or movies? I was thinking uploading to FTP or can she access our home network some how?

Thanks in advance.
JR

I'm afraid that there's no way to do what you want. You can't connect an iPad to an iTunes library stored in a computer located in a distant country. It has to be done with the supplied USB cable or through a WIFI connection on the same network.

Most reactions