What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem using same iTunes software to sync 2 accounts

LaCornistaV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I logged into my mother's Apple account in iTunes on my MacBook Pro to download an app remotely for her. While I was searching for the app, iTunes started synching MY apps, I guess from the iCloud, even though I was not logged into MY Apple ID. My iPad was not plugged into my MacBook Pro, but it was on. I have iOS5 and iCloud sync is set up on both iPads with our individual Apple IDs.

Is there a way to prevent my apps from synching onto my mother's iPad when I'm logged into her account? I have 64GB, and she has 16GB. She will not appreciate having to delete hundreds of apps every time I log into her account. She's in another state, so I can't physically help her. (I'm assuming my apps went to her iPad because they started downloading when I logged into her account.)

Does anyone know if/why apps from my account appear to be going to her iPad and how to prevent this if it's happening?

Thanks,
Linda

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Create a second user on your MacBook Pro, just for your mother. iTunes will keep separate libraries for each computer user. This is how I administer my mother's iPad.

OP
L

LaCornistaV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah. Thanks. So I will log onto my MacBook Pro as the different user, install iTunes in that login (if needed), and then i will be able to add apps remotely via iTunes sync to iCloud for her. And the apps added that way will automatically go to her iPad.

I'm a little confused by all the automatic synching, although i love it. Just so I understand: I should see all my apps that went to my mom's iPad via iCloud in this new user login's iTunes. Then I will be able to use that iTunes to delete the apps from her iPad/iCloud without the apps also being deleted from my iPad. Does this sound like what I can expect or like what has been your experience?

Thanks so much!
Linda

twerppoet said:
Create a second user on your MacBook Pro, just for your mother. iTunes will keep separate libraries for each computer user. This is how I administer my mother's iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've got the right idea, more or less. iCloud itself doesn't have a lot to do with iTunes. Most of what you do will be done either via the iPad itself or the System Preferences > iCloud on the Macbook.

It will not be necessary to install iTunes again; but when you open it under her user on the computer you will want to sign in with her Apple ID and authorize the computer with her Apple ID under the Store menu. Same thing for iCloud under System Preferences, use her iCloud account to set it up. The MacBook will keep all these settings separate for the two user accounts.

When you first connect the iPad to the computer and the new account it will probably want to set up as a new iPad, and erase everything. Don't say OK. Instead right click on the iPad under the Devices lists and choose Transfer Purchases. That should copy all your Apple purchased media and apps to the new library, and save you a lot of download time.

Most media can be downloaded again for free if you make a mistake, so not big deal there; but the content of an app may be lost. Make sure everything important gets saved to the iTunes library before syncing. If not, you may want to find some other app or way of saving off important stuff manually. Most apps let you email stuff, if nothing else.

Good luck.

Trompista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much.

I've set up the new user account and logged into my MBP and iCloud with my mom's account details. It looks like everything is working in iCloud. However, none of her apps or music (even the purchased music) have automatically synched over from the iCloud into the iTunes in the new user account. My mom is out of town and mostly offline for a couple days right now. I had hoped to get in and delete the app avalanche she's going to have from my iPad. Even though she's offline, I thought I'd see all the apps that appeared to sync to her iTunes from my iCloud. Oh well.

We live in different parts of the country, so I won't be able to physically connect her iPad with my MBP for several months. I need to make the time to research the relationship between iCloud and iTunes to better understand what I'm doing to my mom's iPad.

Thank you for resolving my question about how to stop my apps from synching to her account.
Linda

(Trompista is my new iPad Forum username.)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or you could just use separate iTunes libraries.
When you launch iTunes, as soon as you click on it, hold down the option key (shift on a PC) and a window will appear where you can create a new iTunes library database or select a pre-existing one.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or you could just use separate iTunes libraries.
When you launch iTunes, as soon as you click on it, hold down the option key (shift on a PC) and a window will appear where you can create a new iTunes library database or select a pre-existing one.

I thought of that, but decided different user accounts on the computer would be easier to understand. Besides, it would still mix up iCloud account settings if you need to support those as well on the same computer.

Or maybe those can be separated too. I don't have anyway to experiment with that.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks very much.

I've set up the new user account and logged into my MBP and iCloud with my mom's account details. . .

No problem. One of the things you need to understand is the difference between iTunes and iCloud. There is some overlap, but they are not the same service. They don't even have to be the same Apple ID, though that is 'usually' more convenient; unless you are sharing iTunes accounts, but want separate calendar, contact, etc syncing.

Apple IDs and iCloud

Trompista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, both, for the help and suggestions. I'm set up with the same Apple ID for iTunes and iCloud. The easy route is best for me right now. Not enough free time to fully think through my experiments :)

I had hoped to see the apps that I think synched to my mom's account via cloud in this second iTunes, but they're still not showing. I only see the new apps I downloaded using her account. Once this mess is cleared up and she deletes the hundreds of apps I think she will receive, everything will be fine going forward (I think).

Good night,
Linda

twerppoet said:
No problem. One of the things you need to understand is the difference between iTunes and iCloud. There is some overlap, but they are not the same service. They don't even have to be the same Apple ID, though that is 'usually' more convenient; unless you are sharing iTunes accounts, but want separate calendar, contact, etc syncing.

Apple IDs and iCloud

Most reactions