What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Rearranged all my apps

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had all my apps in folders just the way I wanted them until I connected my iPad to iTunes on my pc. Itunes went through its steps (I never really know what ita doing.) and when it was all done my apps were no longer in any folders and the shuffeled across several pages. It took me an hour or more to reorganize them all over again.

How can this be prevented?

Reaction score
The safest way to prevent it, is to arrange the icons on iTunes first and then sync. Or only arrange a few icons at the time on your iPad, sync, then continue.

iTunes shouldn't rearrange any icons by itself, but it seems that it sometimes does it, when too much is changed at once.

Btw. an hour for rearranging is a really long time, try using iTunes to sort your Homescreens, it will save you lots of minutes.

OP
S

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The safest way to prevent it, is to arrange the icons on iTunes first and then sync. Or only arrange a few icons at the time on your iPad, sync, then continue.

iTunes shouldn't rearrange any icons by itself, but it seems that it sometimes does it, when too much is changed at once.

Btw. an hour for rearranging is a really long time, try using iTunes to sort your Homescreens, it will save you lots of minutes.

I have tried to do that but didn't get anywhere. I must be doing it wrong but iTunes HELP didn't help me here.

slick_dr.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
me too

I actually did all my rearranging on iTunes, and when I synced it rearranged all my apps alphabetically, removing all the groups that I had created. Total pain. I can't find any setting that would have given iTunes permission to do that!

How to prevent this, really?

Reaction score
slick_dr. said:
I actually did all my rearranging on iTunes, and when I synced it rearranged all my apps alphabetically, removing all the groups that I had created. Total pain. I can't find any setting that would have given iTunes permission to do that!

How to prevent this, really?

When rearranging the icons into folders, press Sync after finishing each folder. Syncing shouldn't take more then 30s and you can keep rearranging icons while it syncs. It is not entirely clear, why ITunes rearranges icons on it's own, but it seems it does so, when a lot of icons have been moved. So the solution is to break the process into multiple steps with syncs in-between.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Happened to me too, with the iTunes Virus. Never figured out why.
But that is the way of viruses, and iTunes is one of them.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

took me more than an hour coz I have about 300+ apps to organized them into folders again.

I have lots of apps , most of them are educational apps and games for my daughters.

Most reactions

Latest posts