What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes Mess

ejcmgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the process of copying my itunes music from my Dell desktop to an external hard drive I somehow managed to convert my entire music library to a new format (folders) and lost all playlists, purchased items etc. Is there a way I can recover these? If not can I transfer the 4000 songs currently on my Ipad back to my PC retaining the original Itunes format that is still on the Ipad. I am concerned I will lose everything when the sync process begins.:confused:

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not up to date on the current tools to help you resolve this, so I'll let others chime in, but before they do, just a word of caution.

If you have messed up the library on your PC, do NOT sync. It will wipe the tracks from your device if you no longer have them on your PC.

As I say, there are various tools out there to help you out, but I'll let someone with recent experience tell you which ones are best... In the meantime don't be tempted to just sync...

OP
E

ejcmgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. That's my instinct as well. Hopefully others will have some answers.

Thanks

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ejcmgc said:
In the process of copying my itunes music from my Dell desktop to an external hard drive I somehow managed to convert my entire music library to a new format (folders) and lost all playlists, purchased items etc. Is there a way I can recover these? If not can I transfer the 4000 songs currently on my Ipad back to my PC retaining the original Itunes format that is still on the Ipad. I am concerned I will lose everything when the sync process begins.:confused:

What exactly did you do during the export to external hard disk process? As much information as you can will help us to help you with this. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
E

ejcmgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it back by reinstalling itunes which involved some repair processes. Then was able to drag and drop the media folders back to itunes. everything came back except the playlists. appreciate everyones help.

thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions