What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

itunes has photo seletion greyed out?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to import some but not all photos from my ipad to my pc but when I go to the photos section in itunes the box to tick for "selection" is greyed out! I can only import ALL the photos - which I do not want. Is there any way I can make a selection or do I have to just import all & then delete them later? ( wish ipad had a usb in/out!)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With a PC, you have this option as well (Windows 7, Vista, XP):

Copy the photos to your computer using Windows Explorer:

1. Connect the iOS device to the computer.
  2. Choose Start > Computer.
  3. Double-click the logo for the device to browse its folders.
  4. Go to [iOS device]\Internal Storage\DCIM\100APPLE.
  5. Copy the content in this folder to your computer.
  6. Disconnect your device. Open the Camera Roll and delete the photos you imported.
(Apple Support)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just to be clear. iTunes on the computer can only be used to sync (not copy) photos from the PC to the iPad. It can not be used to copy photos from the iPad to the PC.

Johanna's instructions are the best for Windows computers. Windows may also mount your iPad as a USB drive. It may even decide your iPad is a camera and show it as such in other image management/editing programs.

For those using a Mac the Image Capture program can be used, if you want to bypass iPhoto. It's in your Application folder.

Most reactions