What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes has been hi jacked

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

No, I am using the earlier 10. 7.0.21 version. I like the left column selection window for ease of use.

If I may ask another question concerning syncing (assuming all is working correctly). I have a 3 some syncing setup consisting on the PC, iPad and iPhone. When iTunes is loaded up on the PC and either of the iOS devices are connected, when the APPs tab is clicked the window that open up contains the listed/installed icons/APPs

In the right side list there are tick boxes next to the icons, these I believe are ticked for syncing. If that is the case then here is my question.

It is obvious the not ALL apps need to be synced the same on both devices, ie. I do not need for example "pages" APP on both devices, only onto the iPad.

I will make an assumption here and ask your response. Using the "Pages" APP as an example, if I unstick the box for that APP whilst the iPhone is connected and the sync goes through, ONLY the iPad is synced when it get connected? The next time the iPhone is connected, it is not synced because the check box is still unticked. Is this correct?

Incidentally, I found where those crappy songs were hiding, they are hiding on-my-iPad under the music icon. Hopefully I can now do something about that.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi there.

No, I am using the earlier 10. 7.0.21 version. I like the left column selection window for ease of use.

The side bar can be turned back on in iTunes 11, if that makes a difference.

If I may ask another question concerning syncing (assuming all is working correctly). I have a 3 some syncing setup consisting on the PC, iPad and iPhone. When iTunes is loaded up on the PC and either of the iOS devices are connected, when the APPs tab is clicked the window that open up contains the listed/installed icons/APPs

In the right side list there are tick boxes next to the icons, these I believe are ticked for syncing. If that is the case then here is my question.

It is obvious the not ALL apps need to be synced the same on both devices, ie. I do not need for example "pages" APP on both devices, only onto the iPad.

I will make an assumption here and ask your response. Using the "Pages" APP as an example, if I unstick the box for that APP whilst the iPhone is connected and the sync goes through, ONLY the iPad is synced when it get connected? The next time the iPhone is connected, it is not synced because the check box is still unticked. Is this correct?

That is pretty much correct. iTunes will maintain a separate list of apps that will sync for each device. Occasionally when a new app is synced back from a device to iTunes, it will get synced to the second device later. Simply deleting this directly from the iPad will un-tick the sync box next time around.

Devices and iTunes may also automatically download new apps after they are purchased on another device/computer. You turn this on/off in Settings > Store on the device and Preferences > Store in iTunes.

Incidentally, I found where those crappy songs were hiding, they are hiding on-my-iPad under the music icon. Hopefully I can now do something about that.

Regards

Music is your iTunes music player app. Any music that gets synced from iTunes will show up there. iTunes on the iPad is only the store.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Thanks for the information. I am quietly confidant that with your help we may have licked the problem as I have had no melt downs or any serious threats presented, considering that I have been giving the iPhone and iPad a serious caning over the past 24 hours by alternating the two devices on the PC and connected to iTunes, syncing and re-syncing.

I am in the process of removing most of those crappy songs from both iOS devices (and the PC), but I am making hard work of it. I delete and bin a song on the iPhone and sync with the PC, when the iPad is connected and synced, it re-appears again. I bin it from the iPad using the PC, sync the two, when I re-connect the iPhone it is there again. I have had limited success with removal, but I put that down to dumb luck.

I have had a look at the vers 11 of iTunes, which is installed on my other (duplicate removable HD) but I can not readily see how moving to that vers would benefit me, unless of cause you can convince me or I am forced to go to that vers. At the present time in my life, I only use iTunes as a vehicle to transfer apps, movies that I have ripped, and updates between all devices. Any songs that I may wish to upload to either iOS devices would come from my PC.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suggest you turn off song syncing for both devices, then sync so all songs are removed. Then delete the unwanted songs off iTunes on the computer. Now go back and turn on song syncing for each device, select what you want synced on that device, and sync.

See. Reduce the copies to one place. Clean up the one place. Redistribute.

It won't hurt to wait for a couple more bug splatting versions of iTunes 11 before taking the plunge. Not that there appears to be much wrong with it now. I like the new version. Other's not so much.

I did have to do some library cleanup after switching, but that's mostly because I had a lot of older DRM (copy protected) iTunes files. iTunes decided to show, and let me download, all the newer non-DRM version alongside the old, making for a massive number of duplicates in my library.

Once I figured out what was happening I just deleted all the older files then spent the next several days downloading the new ones whenever I was at the computer.

I call it a blessing in disguise, since my iTunes library is now 100% DRM free; which means even if Apple goes out of business Dec 21 {and we'll wonder how the Mayan's knew} I'll still be able to use all my music.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Was it not Paul Keating who said "life was not meant to be easy". :)

I am sorry, but I do not understand this line: "See. Reduce the copies to one place. Clean up the one place. Redistribute". Is that an built in instruction in iTunes or and instruction found on this forum, if so, where do i find it?

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It was just a summary of the preceding paragraph. No hidden menus or special codes. :)

The idea is that it would be easier to clean things up if there is only one place to do the cleaning. If the iPad and iPhone are empty of songs, you wont' have to worry about syncing songs back to iTunes after you delete them. Once the iTunes library is the way you want it, then you can sync what you want back to the devices. A clean start.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Yep, that is what I will be doing over the next week or so, listening to, and deleting songs that I do not want. Hopfully after that is done.........Utopia! :)

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts