What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't complete backup

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 16G iPad suddenly will not complete a backup. I've tried with iTunes on both my Vista & my XP computers. It backs up to more than 3/4's on the progress bar and then it just sits there for hours. It worries me to not be able to back it up, but since the latest OS update I can't seem to get to the install of the new version because it tries to do a backup first. I need help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try this. First go into iTunes preferences, the Device tab, and turn off auto syncing. Gives you a bit more control over what happens.

Connect your iPad, select it in iTunes under the Devices list, right click and choose Transfer Purchases.

When that completes, hopefully it does, then right click again and choose Backup.

If that works you can try a full Sync and see what happens.

By breaking it into pieces like this it might be easier for the computer to handle.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming you tried rebooting your iPad and your computer...if not, give both a try.

If Tim's good advice doesn't work, you may have a corrupted backup so try deleting it.

Without your iPad connected open iTunes. In the menu bar select Preferences > Devices. Select and delete your iPad backup.

Connect your iPad and let it go through the backup and sync process. It will be an initial backup so depending on how much data you have this could take a while. Try leaving it to run overnight and see how it looks in the morning. Future backups should be quick and painless.

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I had already tried the transfer of new apps so I tried deleting the backup from iTunes (I had deleted the backup before but stupidly did it by deleting the file manually...not through iTunes.). Then I did a backup and it worked! The only thing is that the synch that followed put back a lot of apps onto the iPad that I had deleted from the iPad and also removed some newly added apps. Once I reinstalled and deleted those I tried another backup and it stalled again.
So...I deleted the backup again and went for installing the new ios. During the ios install it did a backup that at least went to completion. Guess I don't know if I can count on it working or not.
Do you know if when a new minor ios is installed if the whole ios is reinstalled or just the changed components? Am thinking that if there was something wrong with my os that maybe a full install might maybe have fixed things up?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I had already tried the transfer of new apps so I tried deleting the backup from iTunes (I had deleted the backup before but stupidly did it by deleting the file manually...not through iTunes.). Then I did a backup and it worked! The only thing is that the synch that followed put back a lot of apps onto the iPad that I had deleted from the iPad and also removed some newly added apps. Once I reinstalled and deleted those I tried another backup and it stalled again.
So...I deleted the backup again and went for installing the new ios. During the ios install it did a backup that at least went to completion. Guess I don't know if I can count on it working or not.
Do you know if when a new minor ios is installed if the whole ios is reinstalled or just the changed components? Am thinking that if there was something wrong with my os that maybe a full install might maybe have fixed things up?
I'm not sure about the OS question but based on the size of the update files I'd say the existing OS is completely removed and replaced with the update, but I could be wrong.

If you deleted the original backup via iTunes and the new update completed normally, but then problems arose when you added and deleted apps, it sounds like you may have a problematic app corrupting things.

Here's what I would do...I would use iTunes to delete your backup. Then I would connect your iPad. When it begins to backup/sync stop it by swiping the slide lock on the iPad screen. Then, while the iPad is still connected, go to the apps tab and uncheck any apps that you've added recently. Then disconnect and reconnect your iPad. See if it will backup normally. If so I would start adding apps one-by-one and go through the same backup process. Depending on how many apps you have to deal with it could be time consuming, but it's possible you'll be able to narrow it down to an app that's not behaving itself.

If/when you find the problematic app you can delete it (touch and hold the icon on the iPad screen until they all start giggling and touch the circled "X" in the upper LH corner). Re-sync your iPad and then try downloading the app again. If there are still problems I'd report it to the app developer.

No guarantees that will solve the problem, but that's the first thing that comes to mind based on your experience.

samintexas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally a Backup

I tried all the great suggestions to no avail. The "soft reset" hung the iPad up completely. I finally did a "hard Reset." All my stuff was still there. I did have to log back on to my intranet (WiFi).

Pete :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried all the great suggestions to no avail. The "soft reset" hung the iPad up completely. I finally did a "hard Reset." All my stuff was still there. I did have to log back on to my intranet (WiFi).

Pete :)
Sooo...is everything good then and the reset seemed to do the trick? Just want to be clear. TIA!

samintexas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

All is well, but I wonder what caused the problem. "Murphy" is alive and well!

Pete :):)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a computer, despite the shape and Post PC talk. These things happen to computers. It's probably a good idea to do a restart at least once a week, just like you should probably do for your desktop.

The reset does a bit more, but I'm not sure what all more it does. Someday I'll have to try and find out.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

All is well, but I wonder what caused the problem. "Murphy" is alive and well!

Pete :):)
Glad to hear that all is well!.

It's a computer, despite the shape and Post PC talk. These things happen to computers. It's probably a good idea to do a restart at least once a week, just like you should probably do for your desktop.

The reset does a bit more, but I'm not sure what all more it does. Someday I'll have to try and find out.
There are occasions when a reboot (full power down and up as outlined here) of an iPad can sometimes clear up a problem however it's not necessary to reboot them otherwise...they won't run any better or incur less problems. (Windows PC's can sometimes benefit from rebooting, however Unix/Linux/Apple OS X and iOS do not.)

Note that a full reset on the other hand should't be done lightly and only conducted when an iPad is frozen or won't restart normally (usually due to a rogue app). During a reset (or "dirty shutdown") the operating system isn't given time to carry out any current tasks before shutting down. Because of that there is a risk of data corruption. A reset should only be the "last resort" to get an iPad going again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While no where a near as often as I've experienced with Windows, I have had to reboot my iMacs upon rare occasion. Hold in mind I don't turn it off every day, so it has run non-stop for months without a being restarted on occasion.

Servers often go longer, especially Linux or Unix servers. But they generally don't have to deal with users who are always making changes in what is running, loaded, etc.

I agree about the full reset. It's being touted far too often. It should only be used if a normal restart does not work. Or that is what Apple suggests anyway. On the other hand I haven't heard of a single case where it has cause harm.

I got into a similar argument on the droid forums about the pull-the-battery-while-it-is-running advice often given. Had to back down on that too, when I could not find a single instance of problems. And that one really raised my old-technician hackles.

Most reactions

Latest posts