What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes and two(2) 4S' & Ipad,, Sync'ng

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The family has two 4S phones and an Ipad. Itunes backs up the units then synchronizes the one attached. We use the same itunes account on each.

My question deals with sync'n the contacts list, but applies to all files:

1)Is there a pecking order? or does Itunes look at all 3 units' backups and merge the out of sync data from each to each?

2)Do I need to backup & sync the three units twice (A,B,C then B & A again) to level all combinations of sync?

Thanks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Backups are individualized based on device UID, so if you make a backup on your iPad, it will display as the backup from "X iPad", or "X iPhone". Since you have 2 iPhones, one will say "A's iPhone" and the other will say "B's iPhone".

2) Nope. You should be able to manage all of them individually. If you're looking to keep all 3 devices on the same pace in terms of content, then sure, but there's no obligatory "Yes you must keep them all synced/backed up to the same points in time". Just like the backups, it's all separate. Each device will essentially have their own "sync instance" that differentiates each of them as individual and independent devices

OP
JJ_BPK

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so when itunes sync's it doesn't sync??

I want the same contacts list on all three machines. Syncronized contracts,, if it also does games, photos, and apps, ok.. Although it would be nice to select what is to be sync'd

Thanks

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you use the same Apple ID on each device? That would keep the contacts synced between them all without needing to go thru iTunes. That way you could also set up the auto download for apps/music etc.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The family has two 4S phones and an Ipad. Itunes backs up the units then synchronizes the one attached. We use the same itunes account on each. My question deals with sync'n the contacts list, but applies to all files: 1)Is there a pecking order? or does Itunes look at all 3 units' backups and merge the out of sync data from each to each? 2)Do I need to backup & sync the three units twice (A,B,C then B & A again) to level all combinations of sync? Thanks.

Question 1- as you stated, iTunes will merge the out of sync data from each, and each will get the latest data from the last (by date and time) unit backed up, including any changes the unit currently connected has. This is of the items you want synced by selecting the items to be synced, like contacts, music etc. Otherwise, iTunes will recognize each device as it's own and sync it only with the data you choose which can be separate from the other devices.

Question 2- if you must have the latest data equally and immediately on all and cannot wait until the next back up, then yes. If C is the last to be backed up and has contact entry's A&B don't, A&B will not get them until they are synced after C gets synced. If that's the case, I'd recommend using iCloud as you back up because then contacts, photos, notes get "pushed" to all devices when connected to wifi.

Most reactions

Latest posts