What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with iPad 3/4G+WiFi version owner worldwide!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I had to connect my iPad to a pc to get the update as it had to come from iTunes.

I managed to get the OTA update (58MB) when connected to my WiFi no problem. Always much faster to update OTA if you can because the iTunes method requires the full IPSW file rather than the delta.

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to get the OTA update (58MB) when connected to my WiFi no problem. Always much faster to update OTA if you can because the iTunes method requires the full IPSW file rather than the delta.
Done my update through WiFi. The download was fast about a minutes, its not too large size like youve mentioned 58MB only. It take more time to update the system and reboot though. Still at home haven't go through the trouble sites to try the update fix. Will report back again the outdoor test in a day or 2. Will have both WiFi and cellular data on all the time during the test, to see if auto switching fixed too. :)

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NewForce said:
Done my update through WiFi. The download was fast about a minutes, its not too large size like youve mentioned 58MB only. It take more time to update the system and reboot though. Still at home haven't go through the trouble sites to try the update fix. Will report back again the outdoor test in a day or 2. Will have both WiFi and cellular data on all the time during the test, to see if auto switching fixed too. :)

Updated through Wi-Fi took only about 10 minutes, the only thing that was strange is that it moved an entire page of icons to my home screen that I usually keep blank except for the home row of course, because of my background that I use. Then I had to manually move all the icons to another screen.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fairwayman said:
Updated through Wi-Fi took only about 10 minutes, the only thing that was strange is that it moved an entire page of icons to my home screen that I usually keep blank because of my background that I use. Then I had to manually move all the icons to another screen.

That's not an issue with the update, it's just a feature of IOS. It does not actually support blank pages normally and if you create one it will reset your layout on a full reboot, as you found out!

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
That's not an issue with the update, it's just a feature of IOS. It does not actually support blank pages normally and if you create one it will reset your layout on a full reboot, as you found out!

I see, thanks for clarifying that, I learned something new.

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has released IOS version 5.1.1 which supposedly fixed the 3G connection issues. If you are suffering with this problem (and are not interested in jailbreaking) you should update immediately.

Hopefully NewForce can finally get back to enjoying a normal stress free life ;)
So far has tested 3 areas that I've been suffering the 3G cellular data no connection issue.
So far the iOS 5.1.1 has fixed the problem totally, and infact it even fixes the weak WiFi issue too.

One thing I did noted, the battery seem like drain faster than before. I don't know whether this is just my illusion, or it is the iOS 5.1.1 packaged with firmwares for wireless chipsets Broadcomm & Qualcomm has re-distributing more voltages or current so both chipsets working ok now. Even if that was the case, I'm pretty fine with that approach which consider better option than no 3G data and I'm gonna live with that till the next iPad (4?) or any other better tablet show up.

f4780y, you're right! I am really enjoying the new iPad since yesterday night 05/08 06:45 pm. I'm gonna marked this date as the victory day for everyone who's has actively participating this problem thread in most iPad forums around the world, including those in the Apple Support Comminuties forum ! :thumbs:

pb3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Newforce,

I'm happy to hear that the latest update has apparently resolved your problems. I appreciate the frustration you gone through given that you were apparently more severely affected than the rest of us.

My iPad was very temperamental and the problem re-occured literally the day after I made my last post suggesting that the problem had gotten better. I've applied the update and look foward to taking it on a road test this Thursday.

Looks like f4780y called it correctly. It was (apparently) some type of baseband problem fixable by a software update.

Looks like the threat of this thread reacing 10 pages in length spurred Apple into action! :)

OP
N

NewForce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi pb3, Thanks for your compliment.
All credits go to all posting by all the victims of this issue here and the rest of many forum from around the world.
I have always preferred a calm solution, and have never try to put anything to go this ugly, like this issue experiencing by all.
Think together we've really put up a good fight against the almighty Apple.

Yes, the fixed is here, but it could have been end up in better approach. Too bad Apple choosed to fixed that in rather ugly fashion.
It's a lesson learned for all victims and Apple. Let's hope Mr. Tim Cook are indeed a better man than the old & gone SJ. Amen.

Last edited:

ClearAllen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was very happy when I first had the new iPad on my hands. I didn't notice this at first, but when I took the tablet to my backyard, and my iPhone was able to pick up my router signal without a hassle, and the iPad didn't found the network at all, this issue became a nightmare to me. I have spent a lot of time on google, looking for a solution to this. At the end, I found a couple of reviews of Pong Research's cases, that convinced me into giving it a try. This special case, is built with an antennae in between layers of the back cover, which redirects and boosts the power of the signals and increases the range of the wifi antennae on the iPad. After getting one, I couldn't be happier with my new toy! This finally fixes my problem with the <a href="http://www.pongresearch.com/new-ipad.html">new iPad 3 poor wifi range</a> .

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ClearAllen said:
I was very happy when I first had the new iPad on my hands. I didn't notice this at first, but when I took the tablet to my backyard, and my iPhone was able to pick up my router signal without a hassle, and the iPad didn't found the network at all, this issue became a nightmare to me. I have spent a lot of time on google, looking for a solution to this. At the end, I found a couple of reviews of Pong Research's cases, that convinced me into giving it a try. This special case, is built with an antennae in between layers of the back cover, which redirects and boosts the power of the signals and increases the range of the wifi antennae on the iPad. After getting one, I couldn't be happier with my new toy! This finally fixes my problem with the <a href="http://www.pongresearch.com/new-ipad.html">new iPad 3 poor wifi range</a> .

Might be worth $120 to some people but not me since I have no issues with my TP link 841 n router. Getting excellent download/upload speeds on speed test, routinely between 19 to 22 down, and 7 to 9 up on home Wi-Fi and I have had
It since mar 16th.

http://www.pongresearch.com/products/ipads/new-ipad.html

Last edited:

mcsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's official, there is a mass call back issued by Apple for IPad 4G owners... I had issue connecting my iPad to the Internet, I had an error message saying that my iPad was unable to recognize the Sim card (wich I had recently changed because I already had issues) and a help number appeared, so I called it. A Verizon Lady answered, asked me about my problem and then she transfered the call without telling me that it was transferred to Apple....
The Apple lady told me to please bring back the iPad because apparently there were "thousands of them been called back for investigation in regards to a fawlty hardware" and that they would replace it by a new one....
I tried to know if it was only the Verizon ones but she refused to tel me more about it and that she could only confirm me that thousands of them were beeing called back....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's official, there is a mass call back issued by Apple for IPad 4G owners... I had issue connecting my iPad to the Internet, I had an error message saying that my iPad was unable to recognize the Sim card (wich I had recently changed because I already had issues) and a help number appeared, so I called it. A Verizon Lady answered, asked me about my problem and then she transfered the call without telling me that it was transferred to Apple....
The Apple lady told me to please bring back the iPad because apparently there were "thousands of them been called back for investigation in regards to a fawlty hardware" and that they would replace it by a new one....
I tried to know if it was only the Verizon ones but she refused to tel me more about it and that she could only confirm me that thousands of them were beeing called back....

An interesting first post.

We will monitor the situation with interest, but a mass call back / recall is not "Official" until Apple announces it publicly. Sorry, but your personal experience doesn't make it official yet, so we will take it with a large pinch of salt until such time as it is officially confirmed!
It is extremely unlikely that any Apple (or Verizon) employee would confirm to you on the phone that "thousands of them" are being called back. Even if that was the case, "thousands" would equate to a miniscule amount of the 60+ million iPads that have so far been sold (Apple are estimated to be approaching 70M by the end of the year). Thousands will still be a tiny amount in relation to Verizon iPad3 4G models. Not what you could define as a mass call back in anyone's book! Perhaps we will start to get confirmation from more of our Verizon iPad3 owning members in the near future...

Welcome to our forums :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

My 4G/LTE Version 2012 iPad has been working great all over the south east. I have seen amazing LTE speeds on Podunk cities in Mississippi, probably the last place you'd expect LTE service. Mass callback or not, they ain't gettin mine. :)

mcsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
re

Yep, mine too was working blazing fast, when it worked... In fact it only failed 2, 3 times but when it failed (no internet) there was no way to get it back and I wasted countless hours and several days to get it fixed (back an fourth between Verizon, Apple declining there fault...)

Update: Apple Store, exchange mine for a new one but declined what the Apple representative had said on the phone about the "thousands recalls" so I really don't know what's going on. Anyways this one seems to work fine so far, will see... :)

Most reactions

Latest posts