What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there no limit to the uses for an iPad?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A market I had never thought about is about to get iPad friendly. A company call Square has introduced a credit card reader and app for iPhones and iPads that will allow anyone to run a credit card. As I understand it, they get a 2.5% fee, but no merchant license is required.

Think of things like flea markets, farmers markets, barbers, etc., that normally only take cash or checks. Now without the investment and fees that are needed to take credit cards, they can swipe your card when you don't have the cash. I can see a few question marks, and as someone whose wife is notorious on both sides of flea markets, I can't decide what I think yet.:confused:

Wetstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... that will certainly make life easier for people selling items for $50+. Art fairs come to mind. I've been a V/MC merchant for 20yrs... but not portable. Expect Paypal to become a player.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been around for a while now...they have a card reader that plugs into the headphone jack.

Apple stores have been using iPhones for transactions for a while now...they won't sell the app/slider sleeve to the public tho.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a retail store with a standard credit card terminal. My processing company also sets us up with an online terminal that I can access with any internet connection. We have used it at trade shows with a notebook computer and a 3G card... but yesterday our data connection at the store was cut and I pulled out the iPad and logged into the online credit card terminal and was able to continue processing credit cards.

The online terminal does not print a receipt, but will email the receipt to the customer. Also, there is no card reader/swiper... you have to punch in the number.

ARDOTBEE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked an apple associate about the credit card slider he had on his iPhone when I was checking out my iPad.. And he said that there are rumors apple was going to be making this available to the public!!

Odin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would be awesome. I have noticed a couple of different companies are in the mix for this type of device already. I know paypal has their own mobile app now and I believe that was released as a precurser to having the swipe attachment.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Retail, medical, service, marketing, you name it. The iPad will create a whole new world of apps and usages.

It will transform the it industry!

Most reactions

Latest posts