What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is There A Way... Browser Question...

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to make it so pages don't refresh when I open page from safari, it's annoying, and when I goto a chat site, it refresh and I have to re enter info to get back in chat...

Not to mention work lost when I work on a post, have paragraphs...check email, go back to continue post, it refreshes and I lose everything...

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I'm slightly annoyed by it as well, but as i can see as of right now there doesn't seem to be any setting to disable this automatic page refresh. I do find that unless you stay out of safari for a long time (5-10 minutes maybe) or keep the iPad locked for that long, the current page that safari has open won't automatically refresh the page. I can bet the reason why Safari reloads the page after the iPad is locked for a while is because the iPad let's go of the wifi connection while it's locked and reconnects when you unlock it, and Safari needs to reestablish a connection with the server.

As to avoid losing long forum posts on Safari, I periodically select my entire post text and copy it to my clipboard so I have some sort of temporary backup. Sometimes I also just open the notepad app and compose my post in there, then copy/paste it to the forum.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, i learned the hard way, that is to jot down on notepad then paste in post, lol..

But I wonder if any other browser app has something in settings, I have atomic , but never use it..

Anyway anybody knows anything let me know..

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That has annoyed me too and I have started using atomic web browser. It seems to not refresh when I leave and it let's you open new tabs in the background. It also has a bookmark bar and a few more options for a better browsing experience. I still use Safari but have been shifting a lot of my internet time to atomic browser.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm I think we need a statistical analysis and graph of the speed differences between Atomic and Safari.......

Wonder who could do it?

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

The reason safari does this, as far as I'm aware, is because of the limited device memory. Each tab is a separate view as far as safari is concerned and therefore any view that is not being viewed, or not in the view hierarchy that you are in (think iPod>artists>albums>album as an example), is a target to be released from memory if you're running low.

From my spare time programming and messing about with iPhone apps this is my understanding of this issue. If any one knows different then please share, i'm always happy to be corrected on stuff like this.

And yes it annoys me a lot to. I think life browser looks a promising alternative but I didn't like atomic too much.

Most reactions

Latest posts