What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a free AV program for iPad 2 ?

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

Up until recently I have been relying on the Apple OS design for virus protection. However, recently I have been hearing that viruses for the apple OS have starter to appear and the security that was Apple may now be not enough.

So now I ask the question, is there an AV program out there that is suitable for the iPad 2, and being cheap that I am, free would be very nice.

Regards

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really? This is news to me. Are you jail broken? If you're running the stock iOS, you should be safe. There are really no iOS AV apps like on your desktop computer. Where did you here this news? This sounds fishy.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please give us a link about how any virus has started to appear for/on Apple's iOS (mobile software). This is the first I've heard of one - and I read a lot of tech articles and such to keep up with Apple.

I'm not saying that there cannot be a virus - but it'd be very difficult for one to work on a device with iOS installed, given the sandbox nature of the iOS (a malicious program, if it ever got onto you iPad (or any iDevice) wouldn't get very far because Apple's coding doesn't allow for apps to talk to each other (which is also the reason why there is no central file system).

The security system in also the reason why an effective anti-virus for iOS has never been developed. Apple would never allow a program to interact between apps, which is what an anti-virus program would need to do.

So, in other words, as of right now, there is no anti-virus program for iOS because it wouldn't work. My recommendation is to relax and enjoy the sandbox/walled garden aspect of the iOS. For now - it's safe from viruses.

Marilyn

P.S. For more discussion on this - including an explanation of what it would really take to build a virus/anti-virus (see post #14), please see this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92759

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

I am sorry that I can not give you specifics, but this is why I asked.

I think it may have been yesterday some time on one of the TV stations my wife had turned on, a guy who the presenter called a "Techie Geek" used words to the effect that where Windows has problems with virus attacks, Apple users have not experienced the same problem in the past, but that may not be the case now. He did not say anything more on the subject and proceeded to move onto another subject, I think it may has been something to do with game which did not interested me

That is about it people. This is the problem with coming in during the latter part of a conversation .

Regards

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

I am sorry that I can not give you specifics, but this is why I asked.

I think it may have been yesterday some time on one of the TV stations my wife had turned on, a guy who the presenter called a "Techie Geek" used words to the effect that where Windows has problems with virus attacks, Apple users have not experienced the same problem in the past, but that may not be the case now. He did not say anything more on the subject and proceeded to move onto another subject, I think it may has been something to do with game which did not interested me

That is about it people. This is the problem with coming in during the latter part of a conversation .

Regards
The presenter may have been talking about MAC COMPUTERS, as there have been virus issues with java.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry guys I can not give you any more information as at the time I was going in and out of the house in the middle of home maintenance.

But I am pleased with the input you guys put in relating to this query. I at least know more now than before with relation to the iOS :)

Regards

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Yes I am aware of the security problems associated with Java. As it stands I still have Java on my Windows 7 PC but I have all the plugins associated with that program disabled in Firefox. I hope that is enough to afford some protection in this regard.

The only reason that I do not have it uninstalled on the PC is because the wife does a lot of web surfing checking out holiday sites where ever, and I "think" a number of those sites do use Java in their blurbs. Therefore it is easier for me to just turn on Java should she require it as opposed to having to re-install it again just for that "important" site. Not my words. My interpretation of important defines something a little different. ;)

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts