What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the screen really gorilla glass?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else find that when tapping on the screen, it feels different from the rest of ipads? Almost feels like plastic or a cheaper glass.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read somewhere that one of the screen protector manufacturers mentioned that Apple used a "softer" screen on the Mini. How true, I have no clue :eek:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely different. Taps sound different. However, you can't draw conclusions from this about what the glass is or if it is cheap or not. I think there is space between the glass and LCD. Each device with a different form factor has different characteristics.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The glass could be thinner, as well, leading to a different sound when tapped.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen is considerably smaller than that on the iPad, I would expect it to sound different. I'll let you know later today when mine arrives.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got it, it does sound a bit different due to it's being smaller.

When I tap on my google nexus 7', which actually does have a cheap non-GG screen, it does not sound like the screen of the mini either. I just don't think we can draw any conclusions from this. Also, I don't think apple states anywhere that these screens are actually GG, am I wrong?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple has been very reluctant to disclose anything that could help someone derive the cost of production. So we will have to wait on someone to "test" it.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if your iPad starts swinging on vines than it's got Gorilla Glass.

Or you can trust Apple and accept that if they say it's got GG than its got GG.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if your iPad starts swinging on vines than it's got Gorilla Glass.

Or you can trust Apple and accept that if they say it's got GG than its got GG.

:)

Personally, I don't think there is an issue here.

Be Soh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came here looking for answers because the iPad Mini 2 I have which is relatively new, has so many scratches after less than a month of use. I'm actually looking at it now and the 2 year old LG G4 phone I have or any other iPads I have. None have the level of scratches this one has. Apple definitely changed something.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I came here looking for answers because the iPad Mini 2 I have which is relatively new, has so many scratches after less than a month of use. I'm actually looking at it now and the 2 year old LG G4 phone I have or any other iPads I have. None have the level of scratches this one has. Apple definitely changed something.
I have a 7 year old iPad 1 that has no scratches at all on it's screen. None of my newer iPads have any screen scratches either. It's entirely possible that there's a lot of grit in the environment where you're using your iPad. That could cause many fine scratches over time as you use your iPad.

Last edited:

Be Soh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 7 year old iPad 1 that has no scratches at all on it's screen. None of my newer iPads have any screen scratches either. It's entirely possible that there's a lot of grit in the environment where you're using your iPad. That could cause many fine scratches over time as you use your iPad.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier posting. This is a list (not exhaustive) of the devices I have used:
iPad 1
iPad 2
iPad 4
iPad Air 2
Samsung S4
LG G4 (2 year old phone which I am still using).
iPad Mini 2 in my possession for about a month.

i do not question the durability of the 7 year old iPad 1 screen which I also possess. I question the durability of the iPad Mini 2 screen which is the first device I've seen more scratches on the screen than any of the (including 7 year old iPad 1) and the first device which has more scratches on screen than the back cover or sides.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the iPad Mini 2 screen was not made of a less durable glass than other iPads. You say you’ve only had the iPad mini2 in your possession for about a month, has all the scratching occurred in that month?

Most reactions

Latest posts