What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glass or plastic?

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad screen glass or plastic? I'm just curious, taping with fingernail it sounds like plastic. Plastic would scratch easier than glass.

Does anyone know for sure?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For sure it is glass... Plenty of results on google will confirm...
Also, tap it with a hammer... Shatters like glass too :D

OP
chisaki

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For sure it is glass... Plenty of results on google will confirm...
Also, tap it with a hammer... Shatters like glass too :D

It won't be necessary to use a hammer, I believe you.

Thanks for the reply.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadFever1 said:
There is no proof that apple uses gorilla glasses in their devices. Apple is not on the list of gorilla glass´s site. I want proof, not just words!

iPad

You have access on the Internet to the same evidence that everyone else has. The conclusion that most intelligent people reach after doing some research is that the glass product is the same but due to restrictions Apple does not say they use Gorilla glass.

There is no proof that you exist but based on some words and the reasonability of believing that. I am willing to go with it.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no proof that apple uses gorilla glasses in their devices. Apple is not on the list of gorilla glass´s site. I want proof, not just words!

iPad

The iPads and iPhones both use aluminosilicate glass. Who actually manufactures it is the $64K question. But the Apple - Job Creation page say Corning makes the glass for the iPhone.

So that is the only proof you are going to get today. Mainly because Apple does not like to tip its hand on how things are made so that competitors at least have to work at it to rip off their design.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score

iPad

Most teardown experts think the glass comes from the Asahi Glass Company.

Regardless of who actually makes the screen.

It's glass.

Most reactions

Latest posts