What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Diction feature in the iPad is more related to Siri than the type of dictation used by Android. When you dictate on the new iPad, it relies on coecting to the Apple server farms to help decipher your words. Nothing is perfect, but I remember the old programs Apple has tried. This actually works.

Back to the subject of the screens, one of the gadgetry writers wrote that he was not planning on replacing his old iPad for the new one, and has always prefered his Kindle for reading. After seeing the way the new iPad made the words look so crisp, he has given up his Kindle. His recommendation was that anyone who uses the iPad or any other tablet for reading, do theirselves a favor and buy a new iPad. I do not know if I would go that far, but I have noticed a lot less eyestrain over time with the new iPad. I wonder if insurance will pay for it under the health benefits of lowering eyestrain?:p I have to admit that an iPad is not that expensive when you look at the price of quality eye wear.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and the screen resolution look great to me..so I could care less if it gets better lol

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Luckily, I had no eye strain even during the years of amber screens. I've spent endless hours on iPads 1 and 2 without prob (so many hours that that's why I have two iPads -- I always have one to use while the other is charging, lol).

I know some people have eye probs, and that's unfortunate. Glad that there's a fix for those who need it.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Luckily, I had no eye strain even during the years of amber screens. I've spent endless hours on iPads 1 and 2 without prob (so many hours that that's why I have two iPads -- I always have one to use while the other is charging, lol).

I know some people have eye probs, and that's unfortunate. Glad that there's a fix for those who need it.

Ugh it's more like those with eye problems don't see the difference, so no strain. Those who have good or corrected eyesight see the pixel bleed around letters in the previous screens and it's annoying.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh it's more like those with eye problems don't see the difference, so no strain. Those who have good or corrected eyesight see the pixel bleed around letters in the previous screens and it's annoying.

So no strain with any iPad because people with eye probs can't see the diff, according to you.

And according to others, new iPad helps with eye strain.

I think I'll just enjoy my non-existent eye probs, lol.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're assuming that because someone gets eyestrain they have bad eyes. I'm saying that you can get eyestrain from bad displays while some people who don't notice it doesn't affect them.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're assuming that because you get eyestrain you have bad eyes.

Please reread what I wrote:

"I know some people have eye probs, and that's unfortunate. Glad that there's a fix for those who need it."

I consider eye strain a problem. If you think otherwise, you must be wearing funny, rosy glasses, lol.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes and I look at it as I'm glad there's a solution for bad display problems. The pixel bleed on the iPad 2 is a problem for me and always has been.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes and I look at it as I'm glad there's a solution for bad display problems. The pixel bleed on the iPad 2 is a problem for me and always has been.

Like I said, glad people like you have found something that helps. Most of us will have eye probs as we age, so it's good to have options.

I'm glad for the baby boomers, too, because their numbers are driving accessibility in all sorts of areas, which my generation and later ones will benefit from when we need it.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tonight I had opportunity to do a side by side display comparison with ipad1 vs iPad.

There were three people including me comparing displays set to identical brightness levels and displaying the same photos and wallpapers in a slide show.

The difference is very noticeable. More so on macro images and images with high color saturation levels than grayscale or abstract pattern images but noticeable nonetheless.

I am truly indifferent as I upgraded from ipad1 for reasons other than the display. Just sharing what all three of us agreed was the clearly sharper and vivid display.

discipulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the screen really that big of a deal/difference? ABSOLUTELY. I can't say it enough. ABSOLUTELY. Can I say it again? ABSOLUTELY​!!!

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
discipulus said:
Is the screen really that big of a deal/difference? ABSOLUTELY. I can't say it enough. ABSOLUTELY. Can I say it again? ABSOLUTELY​!!!

I don't have the new one but just looking at the pixel numbers I can imagine there is

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The difference is significant. However, for most folks, it isn't so quickly obvious. It takes a little adjusting to. I've kept my iPad 2 and often compare the two (both set up identically), especially with reading and retina-ready graphics apps. The comparison to laser printed pages is pretty accurate.

I too have even noticed less eye strain and fatigue after reading for a while using the new iPad.

Not used to the modest amount of heat coming from the back of the device, as my previous two iPads didn't exhibit this. However, it hasn't been enough for concern. We'll see how it fares when summer rolls around. Again, another reason why I kept the 2.

Only other issue is the length of time to fully charge. But, again, that's an adjustment thing. Loving the LTE speeds when I'm in town with the iPad.

Weight and thickness differences too small to notice or care about. Love the new camera too.

All in all, I'm very happy with my new iPad. The display is beautiful and I know there's more under the hood that's been improved. Just wish they'd bumped the capacity up.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think they could have solved the length of time to charge by beefing up the charger for the iPad 3, since the beefed it up from 25 watt ours on the 2 to 42.5 watt hours on the 3. The 10 Watt charger isn't beefy enough.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PaulCarleton said:
I think they could have solved the length of time to charge by beefing up the charger for the iPad 3, since the beefed it up from 25 watt ours on the 2 to 42.5 watt hours on the 3. The 10 Watt charger isn't beefy enough.

Faster charging can many times lead to decreased battery life. I would think if it was that easy they would of packaged it with a 20 watt etc. Then again, maybe they wanted to keep the accessories the same.. To benefit Apple and customer

Or, we may very well see some aftermarket wall bricks coming out in the near future. I myself however find the charging time to be a mute issue. I just plug mine in about every third night and it's ready by 0500 when I am. :)

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts