What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the op's thread question...

For me.. yes it was/is a big deal. I'm coming up from a Toshiba Thrive which is 1280x800 and the color hue/saturation is very neutral/natural. So the 3 is like a punch to my retinas. Everything is so clear...bright...color saturation... So awesome :D

tombuon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's one of those things that many will only notice when they lose it. Going back to a non-Retina display will feel like watching TV in standard definition after having become accustomed to HD.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's one of those things that many will only notice when they lose it. Going back to a non-Retina display will feel like watching TV in standard definition after having become accustomed to HD.

Just put an anti-glare screen protector on it. You'll simulate it. I did just that this morning (Moshi iVisor) and the screen protector came off a few hours later. I just like this new display too much to cover it up. :D

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
exile said:
To the op's thread question...

For me.. yes it was/is a big deal. I'm coming up from a Toshiba Thrive which is 1280x800 and the color hue/saturation is very neutral/natural. So the 3 is like a punch to my retinas. Everything is so clear...bright...color saturation... So awesome :D

Haha Yes :D

ooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new screen resolution is incredible. It almost makes it as though I need glasses when I look the ipad 2.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ooney said:
The new screen resolution is incredible. It almost makes it as though I need glasses when I look the ipad 2.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well some people can't see how good the screen is lol.....which I find it to be very very!! Because I just showed my iPad to my 78yr old grandmother and my sister has an iPad 2 and I showed her both and she immediately pick the iPad 3.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well some people can't see how good the screen is lol.....which I find it to be very very!! Because I just showed my iPad to my 78yr old grandmother and my sister has an iPad 2 and I showed her both and she immediately pick the iPad 3.
Of course she did! As I said earlier.. when a true 1:1 (apples to apples) comparison is made between the 1/2 (which have the same screen, by the way) and the 3.. EVERYone, with ANY level of vision, in ANY lighting -- WILL see a drastic difference!

People who say otherwise aren't doing a real apples to apples comparison.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pianoman said:
Of course she did! As I said earlier.. when a true 1:1 (apples to apples) comparison is made between the 1/2 (which have the same screen, by the way) and the 3.. EVERYone, with ANY level of vision, in ANY lighting -- WILL see a drastic difference!

People who say otherwise aren't doing a real apples to apples comparison.

Yup, totally agree.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iFan85 said:
I have a gen 1 Ipad and the screen looks GREAT to me. Not sure how it can get any better...Haven't gone out to take a look in person but can somebody help me understand why it's a big deal? I'll get my flame shield out just in case this thread takes a turn for the worst...

If you are looking for a reason to stick with your first gen I suggest you stay away from the 2 or the 3. I loved my first gen and it was an invaluable resource after a tornado hit my home but as much as I will always appreciate it but it is a dinosaur in comparison. I swear it is like the thing weighs 25 lbs and it is like looking at an old crt screen. I'm selling mine this weekend. Most likely I will keep my 2 until the 4 comes out but the 3 is super sharp.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought the 3rd gen after 2 years with the 1st gen. My middle aged eyes can see a huge difference in reading smaller text.

To be fair, I have a Zagg shield in my 1st gen screen. I am not sure if that affects the quality or not? I suspect not. I have a lower shield on my iPhone 3GS which really reduces the quality.

That said, I've never owned or used the iPad 2 other than store demo models. So I can't comment.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the 3rd gen after 2 years with the 1st gen. My middle aged eyes can see a huge difference in reading smaller text.

To be fair, I have a Zagg shield in my 1st gen screen. I am not sure if that affects the quality or not? I suspect not. I have a lower shield on my iPhone 3GS which really reduces the quality.

That said, I've never owned or used the iPad 2 other than store demo models. So I can't comment.
When the Zagg shield is kept grease free - it doesn't reduce screen clarity one iota. It's the only one I can say that about. Rest are junk.

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no question that the new iPad has a better display, the question is possibly if that is worth the upgrade for such price. Of course there are the other upgrades.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no question that the new iPad has a better display, the question is possibly if that is worth the upgrade for such price. Of course there are the other upgrades.
Yes, yes. That's a very sensible, "unemotional" assessment. ;-)

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about not if it's worth the upgrade, but selling your iPad 2 for about 350ish and spending around at least 150 instead of at least 500, that's the question no one says.

It's always "is it worth the upgrade from 2?" when just sell it and spend a few bucks on a better tablet.

Most reactions

Latest posts