What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

ipad2quoi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would be mad at anyone for being color blind or not see in 3D any more than being so at someone who cannot hear into the 20 KHz range, or is taller or shorter than 5'9". I was stunned to find out the statistics are so high for the range of people that do not see that resolution. Which can lead to some interesting conversations when discussing such topics.

You have no reason to trust me but I can assure you that I have not yet any deficiencies regarding my vision (perfect at 20/20, even watching 20/20), my chromatic sense (including the sense of humor), and my hearing. And BTW I am exactly 5'9".
I am still not impress in terms of # between the screens of the 2 iPad in question and I am not impress by the clamors I perfectly hear from the people who are not prepared to acknowledge in a civil manner that we might have # opinions, # tastes etc..., etc...
I do like the new transitional iPad, like a very large majority of tablets owners. :eek:

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad2quoi said:
You have no reason to trust me but I can assure you that I have not yet any deficiencies regarding my vision (perfect at 20/20, even watching 20/20), my chromatic sense (including the sense of humor), and my hearing. And BTW I am exactly 5'9".
I am still not impress in terms of # between the screens of the 2 iPad in question and I am not impress by the clamors I perfectly hear from the people who are not prepared to acknowledge in a civil manner that we might have # opinions, # tastes etc..., etc...
I do like the new transitional iPad, like a very large majority of tablets owners. :eek:

But how can you not tell the difference? Lmao.....this is not about taste it's about facts, the screen on the new iPad is way better, it doesn't matter what you think. It's a fact not an opinion lol.

Monsoonmalabar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But how can you not tell the difference? Lmao.....this is not about taste it's about facts, the screen on the new iPad is way better, it doesn't matter what you think. It's a fact not an opinion lol.

'Better' is always a value judgment. It's not a fact. That's a fact.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason why you have so many different opinions about the screen and being able to see the difference or not between it and ipad2 is something pretty simple as I see it. People simply aren't comparing apples with apples as they're looking at the new screen.

First of all most of the applications that people use daily are not updated for the new screen yet on the iPad. That alone will account for about half of the people who say they can't see a difference they're simply looking at the wrong thing to compare. Secondly you have to be looking at a source that is written at the higher resolution and then that same source on your iPad one or two and do the direct comparison there. Then 100% of the people 100% of the time in any lighting setting would see the difference between the new screen and the iPad 1 or 2 screen. There would be no question as to the new screen's absolute superiority.

If for example you're just going to a webpage and comparing the two webpages back to back in many cases that's not going to be the proper comparison because the graphics of the webpage itself may not be high-definition.

A true test would be to go to one of the movie trailer websites which are almost always in HD in the page's coding. I'll see if I can find some true HD coded pages that everyone here could do a true comparison test on.

When a true side-by-side, apples to apples, comparison is done between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 screens everyone will be able to see the enormous difference.

Now whether that difference is enough to make someone go out and buy one tomorrow is an entirely different matter. There's also that strange interpersonal mentality of "I don't have the money right now" therefore I have to find something not so good about it to justify my not finding the $ now for a new one. Equally as powerful a motivator is the mentality of people that just simply have to have all the newest products and therefore also have to justify just how great the new one is compared to the old one that "forced" them to go get the first one in their neighborhood.

But again in any true one-to-one comparison between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 screen, in any lighting setting, with any level of current vision they have, EVERYone will be able to see the difference (except possibly for those who are truly color blind).

Last edited:

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Monsoonmalabar said:
'Better' is always a value judgment. It's not a fact. That's a fact.

So you're telling me that 1024 x 768 and 2048 x 1536 is the same thing? Lol.....better, yeah it's a fact.

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Daylife said:
So you're telling me that 1024 x 768 and 2048 x 1536 is the same thing? Lol.....better, yeah it's a fact.

No he isn't saying it's the same he's saying that you saying better is an opinion. Even though it is twice as "better" lol :)

stil29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
"YOU LIE!"

Just kidding:). That was Apple talking through me.... As I sit here happily typing on my iPad 1st gen.. :)

I did grab a new iPad last night because it was available in front of me, yet I have not yet opened it. A coworker has been playing with his "3" all afternoon comparing it to his 1st gen and emailing me his play by play review,,,, states its definitely a good upgrade from the iPad 1.

As others have mentioned: they're all good

Cheers

I had the original iPad sold it to get the ipad2. This time I sold other tech couple of android tabs and iPod nano 5 th gen. I love all the iPads. For me the screen is beautiful text is much crisper. Video is smoother faster. I probably will sell my nook tablet as reading is much more pleasant. There's no right or wrong!!

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No he isn't saying it's the same he's saying that you saying better is an opinion. Even though it is twice as "better" lol :)

I know where you were going with this, but it's not twice as "better", it is twice the resolution - and everyone should agree that more resolution is more desirable (ie. better) up to the point where your eyes cannot tell the difference.
This is where the problem is. Not everyone's eyes and brain circuitry can differentiate once you get past a certain point. Though for some it is easy to see the difference such as myself, other people really struggle with it. It's like playing a musical note to people that can tell what it is, and others that cannot differentiate one from another tone.

stil29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
I agree with you for the people who have data plans, but for all the wifi only owners out there, which are ALOT, we don't care about data and want a HD facetime experience.

Agreed

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stil29 said:

Yes, I am on wifi when I am home.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that those of us who had the original iPad can really see the difference. I can really tell from looking at my old iPad 1 and this new one. My daughter has the iPad 2, and to me, I didn't see that big a difference. If I'd had the iPad 2, I wouldn't have upgraded. But that's just my opinion.

Yes the words are crisper when reading text, and screen definitely brighter, compared to my iPad 1. I'm finding that things still seem to take a long time to download, which I thought was weird. I'm not seeing this lightening speed : (

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
I know where you were going with this, but it's not twice as "better", it is twice the resolution - and everyone should agree that more resolution is more desirable (ie. better) up to the point where your eyes cannot tell the difference.
This is where the problem is. Not everyone's eyes and brain circuitry can differentiate once you get past a certain point. Though for some it is easy to see the difference such as myself, other people really struggle with it. It's like playing a musical note to people that can tell what it is, and others that cannot differentiate one from another tone.

I understand all that, my remark was not completely serious on a logical note, and twice as good I meant the facts like resolution and ram doubled which is better, whether you have bad eyes or not, that's more of a human flaw than the devices lol.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
I think that those of us who had the original iPad can really see the difference. I can really tell from looking at my old iPad 1 and this new one. My daughter has the iPad 2, and to me, I didn't see that big a difference. If I'd had the iPad 2, I wouldn't have upgraded. But that's just my opinion.

Yes the words are crisper when reading text, and screen definitely brighter, compared to my iPad 1. I'm finding that things still seem to take a long time to download, which I thought was weird. I'm not seeing this lightening speed : (

That doesn't even make sense, the iPad 1-2 have the same exact screen.......but you can tell difference for the iPad 1 to the 3rd gen but not from the 2nd to 3rd?

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
Haha I was planning on it. Don't have much of a choice. My iPad 2 is still awesome. No complaints. :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
Excellent. You sound like I did last year when the iPad 2 came out. I was very happy with my iPad 1 and saw no need to upgrade. Yeah, I wanted the cameras and a snappier device but I didn't feel I needed upgrade since I had a 4th Generation iPod Touch which could do Skype/FaceTime.

The upgrade FOR ME from the first generation iPad is significant.

zphone said:
I don't see why anyone would be mad at anyone for being color blind or not see in 3D any more than being so at someone who cannot hear into the 20 KHz range, or is taller or shorter than 5'9". I was stunned to find out the statistics are so high for the range of people that do not see that resolution. Which can lead to some interesting conversations when discussing such topics.
+1

My mom can't differentiate between SD and HD -- even on 52" LCD TV. It makes me crazy when she turns to SD channels instead of the HD ones. Without my prism-laden glasses, I see the world in 2D so I need to wear 3D glasses OVER my regular glasses.

The fact that people see and hear things differently just means that manufacturers modify their products, we get a niche marketing opportunity, or some people will just miss out.

MoonWell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
myjewelfetish.wordpress.com
Wow... Okay I'm not getting the new iPad since I pretty much just got the iPad2 very recently. But I will admit that the retina display looks amazing for applications that are optimized for it. I really don't think it's a "brain" thing. It's just that, some people really value a great screen resolution, while others value performance. Many people are happy with what their iPad original, and iPad 2 can do. Many gamers and people who work almost exclusively with photo/video editor and such will love the resolution upgrade, which is beautiful btw... My mother has had her iPad2 for a long time now, and she won't be upgrading. She may get the next one, as will I. But it's crazy how technical this thread is getting, lol. All iPad devices are excellent tools to me equally.

Most reactions