What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad a laptop replacement?

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you see the keynote during the introduction of the iPad, he introduced the iPad to work between a smart phone and a desktop. Which in a lot of ways, is very true. My iPad is perfect between my iPhone and a Macbook Pro.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a related subject, you will be wanting Desktop ToGo for editing Office docs on the iPad (when it ships).

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My laptop is shot so thisismy laptop for Now. Just wish u can do other things that A laptop can do. Like download things our of itunes

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What can't you download from iTunes? I could download music from iTunes on my 1st gen iPod Touch.

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think future versions of the iPad will be a more and more a laptop replacement.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the video is for - it's a commercial made by others than Apple. I don't recall Apple ever saying this is a replacement for a laptop - in fact I don't think they know what it will end up being.

As far as Office docs - I have been using Offic2HD for a week and I'm able to open up my files on my mobile.me cloud account, manipulate them, and save them directly back to mobile.me without any additional steps.

I've use Docs to Go (long time ago) and at that time it was a you must sync to keep the docs aligned. If there's a way to pull stuff down on the server that may be a lot better. We'll see.

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. In my week of using the iPad, I haven't noticed much that it can't do that I need. I don't need to do Photoshop on the go, or burn CDs, etc. I mainly need to be able to research, write papers and do powerpoints. The other stuff can wait until Im home.

The one thing that concerns me is that I need to upload stuff onto my schools website for assignments. This is just document files and maybe a ppt presentation every so often. Assuming there's no way for the iPad to do this (I'm jailbroken if that helps), what's the best way to do this? Email the documents to myself, VNC into desktop, then retrieve email and upload? I haven't found a way to use Dropbox with iWork stuff. Is there a way to convert .key files to .ppt?

dwagner88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think this was ever designed to replace a laptop. It's a fun toy to browse the web and play games, but I put it down when I need to get work done.

Last edited:

misterkofa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A great man once said... It's not the tool but how the man uses the tool. I wrote 90% of my book on my 1st gen iPod touch. The iPad is not a laptop or desktop replacement but it can do many things both can and can't do. I think a desktop and iPad are the best combination. As a designer, I need at least a 21" screen to do any serious work. So if I'm not using Photoshop, building a site, or working on an illustration, everything else can be done on the iPad. I say get a PC desktop (cause they're cheap and you can upgrade them easier) and keep the iPad. With the rate of apps being released, it's only a matter of time before you cam export in the ppt. format. Hell you can even print from the iPad now.

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A great man once said... It's not the tool but how the man uses the tool. I wrote 90% of my book on my 1st gen iPod touch. The iPad is not a laptop or desktop replacement but it can do many things both can and can't do. I think a desktop and iPad are the best combination. As a designer, I need at least a 21" screen to do any serious work. So if I'm not using Photoshop, building a site, or working on an illustration, everything else can be done on the iPad. I say get a PC desktop (cause they're cheap and you can upgrade them easier) and keep the iPad. With the rate of apps being released, it's only a matter of time before you cam export in the ppt. format. Hell you can even print from the iPad now.

That makes me feel a lot better. I was never in the Apple scene before, so i didn't know the limitations. All i know is that Apple makes some unpopular decisions WRT the App Store. I also love building computers and love overclocking them.. Which is why my "id" (Freud) says to get one. This way i'll have both a highly mobile PC and a highly powerful one, complementing each other and maybe even falling in love (opposites attract)

Most reactions

Latest posts