What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is one mobile hot spot carrier better than others

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this is the right sub forum for this discussion. I am currently using my phone as a mobile hot spot when needed( 2 g for 19.99/month and not locked in) I don't download big files- just for internet, apps, hulu plus for streaming .
I can't do anything on the hulu- keeps freezing and buffering. I was thinking of getting a mobile hot spot through best buy. 3 g would run 30-35.00 depending on the carrier
Any suggestions on carrier for strength and reliability- i don't need 5 g at 50.00/month
It would be for my iPad and iPod touch 5. I may have to get a new iPad 4 now rather than wait for (probable) new version in a few months if my appt with genius bar cant't get my iPad 1 working again- i can't even play my jewel quest game without it going back to home screen- I have an appt this sat AM to let them look at it- no warranty, of course ,so if not easy fix, I will have to get a new ipad now.
Hot spot on my phone drains the battery in no time so it is only for quick internet usage and such
Thanks

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this is the right sub forum for this discussion. I am currently using my phone as a mobile hot spot when needed( 2 g for 19.99/month and not locked in) I don't download big files- just for internet, apps, hulu plus for streaming .
I can't do anything on the hulu- keeps freezing and buffering. I was thinking of getting a mobile hot spot through best buy. 3 g would run 30-35.00 depending on the carrier
Any suggestions on carrier for strength and reliability- i don't need 5 g at 50.00/month
It would be for my iPad and iPod touch 5. I may have to get a new iPad 4 now rather than wait for (probable) new version in a few months if my appt with genius bar cant't get my iPad 1 working again- i can't even play my jewel quest game without it going back to home screen- I have an appt this sat AM to let them look at it- no warranty, of course ,so if not easy fix, I will have to get a new ipad now.
Hot spot on my phone drains the battery in no time so it is only for quick internet usage and such
Thanks

Tethering your phones though convenient doesn't work very well. I have an android work phone I sometimes tether my ipad to, but it always locks up and reboots.
I ended up just spending the money and buying an AT&T mifi. Strong signal, and stable lets me and the wife connect
I've streamed Netflix movies while on travel to folks with dial up and no broadband and its worked great.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering your phones though convenient doesn't work very well. I have an android work phone I sometimes tether my ipad to, but it always locks up and reboots.
I ended up just spending the money and buying an AT&T mifi. Strong signal, and stable lets me and the wife connect
I've streamed Netflix movies while on travel to folks with dial up and no broadband and its worked great.

That may be true in your case but not necessarily every case. I can tether using my iPhone and it has never locked up. I do use a mifi though simply for convenience so that my iPhone data plan doesn't get used up by my iPad.

The Archangel

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I often use my Android phone as mobile hotspot for my iPad. I've never experienced problems before, in some cases it even works better than Wi-Fi. So I second Gabriel1's post: this may be your experience, but it's not generally applicable.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I often use my Android phone as mobile hotspot for my iPad. I've never experienced problems before, in some cases it even works better than Wi-Fi. So I second Gabriel1's post: this may be your experience, but it's not generally applicable.

I have both carriers, AT&T for home and Verizon for work. I am only commenting on my experience w-Vz.
In my area Vz cell phone sucks. I constantly drop calls on my work cell, and got complaints about Vz cell phone service from my end users when I worked in Ops.
A suggestion, Your experiences may vary from mine, but you shouldn't dismiss my suggestion just cuz you don't agree.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both carriers, AT&T for home and Verizon for work. I am only commenting on my experience w-Vz.
In my area Vz cell phone sucks. I constantly drop calls on my work cell, and got complaints about Vz cell phone service from my end users when I worked in Ops.
A suggestion, Your experiences may vary from mine, but you shouldn't dismiss my suggestion just cuz you don't agree.

If that is the case then carrier coverage is the issue rather than anything to do with tethering.

The Archangel

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that is the case then carrier coverage is the issue rather than anything to do with tethering.

The Archangel

The OP had asked for suggestions (recommendations) concerning carriers
I posted my suggestions based on past performance and previous experiences.

There are websites that identify which carriers are best for your local area.
This one for example is in the US.
http://www.signalmap.com/us

HTH

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering your phones though convenient doesn't work very well.

The OP had asked for suggestions (recommendations) concerning carriers
I posted my suggestions based on past performance and previous experiences.

You are correct about what the OP requested but I was responding to your comment about tethering, which actually is nothing to do with tethering, it is to do with cell coverage in your area.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts