What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth upgrading from iPad1 to iPad2

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Havapad said:
Aside from the camera and a little lighter I for one am not all that impressed. After waiting for a month I was a little let down. Still like it tho...

I didn't realise it had a little lighter.....in that case I may upgrade and throw away my zippo at the same time......

The Archangel

Ivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgraded from iPad1, I must say it is a big improvement in most respects and I am very happy that I did it. We put iPad 1 and 2 together and worked simultaneously on them. iPad2:

1) lighter and thinner and more elegant looking
2) faster and more powerful (sites in Safari open at least twice as fast than on iPad 1 - that alone would be enough for upgrade to me)
3) Clearer, brighter and more detailed graphics
4) Much better overall sound - more details and clarity and more balanced, more decent highs (not that cheap sharp as on iPad1), bigger bass and larger sound . Not a small difference at all
5) two cameras - great for skyping and timefacing
6) double RAM: Garageband etc. does not get stuck so much

In my opinion , it is very much worth the upgrade

OP
P

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I didn't realise it had a little lighter.....in that case I may upgrade and throw away my zippo at the same time......

The Archangel

Haha

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splitting Sides

Havapad said:
Aside from the camera and a little lighter I for one am not all that impressed. After waiting for a month I was a little let down. Still like it tho...

The Archangel

A lighter? Must check the app store.....:D

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay got the Ipad 2 yesterday, and the cameras are fine, if you use them in bad lighting then not so good, but most cameras are like that unless you pay a good price for them and the ipad is a computer. If you use them in good light and in the right way then there pritty good. The speed is dam good to. opened up in apps store on ipad and ipad 2. looked at an app by opening on ipad first then the ipad 2, the ipad 2 was open and done well before the ipad. The sound quality is better as well. Its worth getting if you can afford it. Me im not mister rich but i think it was well worth me getting it for what i wanted and im well impressed with it, Ipad one will be on my bedside for use now, odd read or movie or book. The new 2 is going to get worked to bits. Enjoy guys...

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The weight and thinness and is enough for me to upgrade IMO. Its just so much nicer to hold, I don't know. It feels a lot thinner because of the sides being curved.

Other than that, I rarely use the cameras. If the other person didn't have to have FaceTime, maybe I could. I notice no difference in speed for some reason.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
The differences are subtle, but definitely there.
Faster, crisper, snappier and easier to hold and carry.
Also the screen seems better. Can't say why offhand but maybe it's the reduced glass thickness.

Very happy with the upgrade and my daughters very happy with their iPads1 :)

Thanks! thats the review im looking for. I guess ill be sticking to my pad for awhile if that's the case:)

iPad2 has outstanding entertainment features. The graphics performance improvement is substantial 5-9 times better. Garageband and iMovie are phenomenal apps. The thinner screen is tougher, has wider viewing angle and better detail. Why wouldn't Hasty's daughters like iPad1 it is fun, but iPad2 is a lot better. It is noticably lighter and EZr to hold. The competition fell to the wayside and couldn't compare. Read Home - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News review.

Last edited:

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
littlebuddha said:
Okay got the Ipad 2 yesterday, and the cameras are fine, if you use them in bad lighting then not so good, but most cameras are like that unless you pay a good price for them and the ipad is a computer. If you use them in good light and in the right way then there pritty good. The speed is dam good to. opened up in apps store on ipad and ipad 2. looked at an app by opening on ipad first then the ipad 2, the ipad 2 was open and done well before the ipad. The sound quality is better as well. Its worth getting if you can afford it. Me im not mister rich but i think it was well worth me getting it for what i wanted and im well impressed with it, Ipad one will be on my bedside for use now, odd read or movie or book. The new 2 is going to get worked to bits. Enjoy guys...

Nice to read this.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want a device that is lighter, faster, thinner, sexier then by all means upgrade to the iPad 2.

Developers are probably hard at work now developing more and more iPad 2 apps to take advantage of the iPads new horse power. The dual core processor means tasks like surfing and multitasking are even faster than they were on the original iPad, however the original is still a great all round device.

The iPad 2 does seem more future proof though, and the iPad2 would have been built to run iOS 5 (apples next major update to iOS) . Therefore if you want your iPad to run iOS 5 fully and efficiently, due to the 512MB of ram and dual core processor, than an upgrade is in order.

Keeping your original will still get all the jobs done though, and will still be supported by apple with iOS 6 most likely.

Techdad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded mostly because I needed the space, 16 gigs didn't do it for me so I went for the 32 gig ipad 2 and gave my wife the original ipad. Seems a little brighter with the new one, I most likely won't use the cameras since they are not as good as my iphone 4

I wanted to use the mirroring, which ipad 2 supports and now I have a faster processer to boot.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was taken with Ipad 2, just stepped out the door took pic, no messing, i have problems holding thinks and if i can get a pic with just clicking the button i don't think its that bad for a computer pad.
Bit more effort and lighting then judge for yourselfs. Ipads can only get better.
Hey and norad onces ran on a 16bit machine. Dreams that come true.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 194

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
littlebuddha said:
This was taken with Ipad 2, just stepped out the door took pic, no messing, i have problems holding thinks and if i can get a pic with just clicking the button i don't think its that bad for a computer pad.
Bit more effort and lighting then judge for yourselfs. Ipads can only get better.
Hey and norad onces ran on a 16bit machine. Dreams that come true.:D

The quality in certain situations is fine. The cameras get the job done

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think its more the thing that what ever it is, it should be better. And if you want real pro pics then you go for the dedicated camera. Me im more than happy with the new 2. i THINK the new Ipad 3 has a teleport button on it:D Hoping to transport the wife;)

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally don't think it is. The iPad 1 does what I want, if I'd been aware the iPad 2 was imminent when I purchased my iPad 1 I would have held off buying. The amount of threads I've read on these forums about bleed through and other defects with the iPad 2 would make me think twice though.

There may be little/no trouble in replacing defective ones but the hassle of doing so would put me off. There aren't enough improvements with version 2 to warrant upgrading, perhaps the iPad 3 will tempt me if no other tablets at the time sway my decision.

Most reactions