What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to track receipt of a gmail sent on IPad

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very occasionally I need to know whether an important email sent on my IPad in Gmail has reached the recipient
Does anyone know how this can be done
It is only very occasionally as my use of emails is just personal as I am a retired person

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is not a matter of app features. Read receipt is a feature of the email protocol. Exchange has read receipt built in as a part of how it works. Gmail and other IMAP based services do not.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your help
Is there possibly any App that will provide a read receipt service

Well, you've piqued my interest - and agree w/ TP, i.e. a feature of the email client and settings that may be activated for 'read receipts' - for myself, I use a Yahoo account which does not offer this feature, likely true for many other clients - now, I continue to use my pre-retirement medical center account which is Outlook Exchange - first pic below shows that I could setup read responses, so even if an available feature, the user could still control the setting - interesting since I've never looked into option.

Now concerning Gmail which I do not use, there is not an option for 'read receipts' as already indicated - however, googling the issue brought up this hit Boomerang for Gmail (see 2nd pic below) - this appears to be a downloaded app (or extension - don't know) that can add the feature - this is only being offered as a possibility - I've never used and cannot vouch for this app/extension - checkout the link and proceed at your own risk? Good luck and let us know your results if you try 'Boomerang' - may be useful to others. Dave :)
ReadR1.png
ReadR2.png

Elusien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It isn't a question of protocol (IMAP or POP) it is a question of whether the e-mail client, in your case the iPad e-mail app supports it, or if the e-mail service you are using (gmail) allows it.

There is no support on the iPad e-mail app for read-receipts.

Here is what Google says about gmail accounts and read-receipts:

Request or return a read receipt

To find out when people see an email message you send, request a read receipt. When the person opens your message, you'll get an email that shows the time and date of when it was opened.

Note: Request and return read receipts aren't supported in gmail.com accounts.

Request a read receipt
  1. On your computer, open Gmail and click Compose.
  2. In the To and Cc fields, enter recipients as you normally would, and write your subject and message.
    Read receipts aren't returned for messages you send to a group mailing list or alias.
  3. Click More options
    PiHw4O4yEWgCgbrZhXSQ2oRF3D9lsvGcvls1rdMwPL1PihSqQz8wyUjtnye9P_kzGowO=w18
  4. Click Request read receipt.
  5. You won't see this option with your current account [email protected]. Read receipts are available only if you use Gmail with your work or school.
By "work or school' it means that you have a Google Account that was set up through your work or school, a club, or maybe family or friends. This is often called a G Suite account. If you also have another Google Account that you set up just for yourself, you might notice some differences when using each account.

There are other ways though - see here

How to anonymously check if someone has read your email

Most reactions

Latest posts