What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it better to keep the battery charged or let it run down?

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it better to keep the battery charged or let it run down? Is there a difference? Is there an official answer?

I read the iPad battery is not replaceable.

Which method is better for the life of the battery? By life I mean longevity.

I'm curious because I read a post on another forum that said charging a battery on a different computer too often shortens it's eventual life. Then the agrees and disagrees came in. Well is there an official answer for the iPad?

Thanks
Bob

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple says to charge it whenever you want. https://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/why-lithium-ion/ Lithium batteries have no memory, so just do it when it's convenient. FWIW, I always plug it in the charger when I'm at home. Mine rarely gets under 80%... There's another place on Apple's web site where they recommend fully discharging the battery periodically. (Every month or so). This was so the battery meter can calibrate itself.

If your battery dies completely, you can run it in to Apple, and they'll give you a refurb iPad in trade. You used to have to pay $100 or so. I don't know what it is now.. Out of interest, I still have my Ipad 1 that I've had for four years. It got a lot of service in that time and it still gives me good battery life.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a few more tips from Apple re battery life:
https://www.apple.com/au/batteries/maximizing-performance/
My own usage pattern has me charging the beastie pretty much daily overnight, when it's usually about 50% full. Battery life/performance is one of the great features of the iPad.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it better to keep the battery charged or let it run down? Is there a difference? Is there an official answer?

I read the iPad battery is not replaceable.

Which method is better for the life of the battery? By life I mean longevity.

I'm curious because I read a post on another forum that said charging a battery on a different computer too often shortens it's eventual life. Then the agrees and disagrees came in. Well is there an official answer for the iPad?

Thanks
Bob

The battery is replaceable, but it's not recommended that the consumer do it. There are several delicate parts that can easily be damage if one is not careful. Over in the iPhone forums there are numerous posts from people who have attempted to replace their iPhone battery only to have something else break during the repair process. So it's best to take it to your local Apple Store, or a reputable cellphone repair shop and let them replace the battery.

As for getting the most out of your battery, here's a good place to start:

http://thehowto.wikidot.com/prolong-battery-lifespan-for-ipad

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The batteries in the iPad do not have the memory problems which plagued older rechargeable batteries so it's perfectly safe to charge them at any discharge state as often as you wish. The one thing that can harm your battery is to leave it fully discharged for an extended time. Apple recommends discharging it fully, then recharging it at least once a month in order to keep the battery percentage meter properly calibrated.

Most reactions

Latest posts