What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is iPad infected?

george3095

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since updating to iOs7, every now and then opening Chrome causes my router to display a message (on iPad screen) that the place my browser wants to go is potentially dangerous. This activity results in the iPad turning WiFi OFF, in turn, forcing me to go to Settings and turn WiFi on, again. What are the chances I've stupidly picked up something dangerous? Please don't suggest running only Safari unless that's the only solution. I'm not suggesting the problem's related to updating; it's just one of the things that happened.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi George - welcome to the forum! :) Not sure that I can solve your issue(s), but first a few comments: 1) You do NOT have a virus; 2) Your router is not going to display a message (despite having a firewall, NAT, etc.) - I suspect that it's Chrome; and 3) Turning OFF your Wi-Fi is a bizarre activity (I'm assuming you are correct in this description). SO, what to do first? After doing an iOS 7 upgrade, always a good last step to 'Reset' your iPad (directions below if unfamiliar w/ the maneuver) - if Chrome is still misbehaving, then give Safari a try to determine if the same problem exists - I'll stop there - please post back your results - good luck! Dave

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Might be a bug with the new Chrome update for iPad, if you are using the most recent version. A brief look at the recent reviews show quite a few users complaining about bugs and minor problems, though I didn't see one about the problem you are seeing.

OP
G

george3095

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave, I went through the reset as you suggested; then opened Chrome; no problem. OK. Fine, try again. Closed Chrome; opened it. The last page used (which was a known safe site) came up, and immediately, my router slid a window in front of Chrome, gave the familiar warning and two buttons: "Back" or "Continue." Back had to effect; NO to Continue, so I clicked Cancel in the upper right corner of the router's page and it went away. Underneath was Chrome and the last page. This time, I closed Chrome, opened Settings, and there it was: WiFi was OFF. The magic question is: WHEN was WiFi was turned off; before, during, or after Chrome ran? As twerppoet opined (see below), maybe it was the last Chrome update even though my problem has not (yet) been reported. So, it's Safari for me from now on or until my problem's no longer unique and a fix is found. Thanks to you, Dave, and to twerppoet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it happens again, I'd really like a screen shot of the warning message. Just to make sure it's what I'm thinking it is. Don't do it if there is any private information revealed, of course.

OP
G

george3095

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerp poet, I must report that my problem was a humdrum one. When I opened Safari and got the warning message, the same one I got when opening Chrome, I KNEW that the common denominator was.... My router. So I rebooted it and, so far, all's good.

Most reactions

Latest posts