What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a computer still necessary to sync?

happytravels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I sync without using a computer?

It would be nice to think I could sync and keep my apple devices up to date without having to use my clunky computer or laptop anymore.:)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
happytravels said:
Can I sync without using a computer?

It would be nice to think I could sync and keep my apple devices up to date without having to use my clunky computer or laptop anymore.:)

Welcome to the iPad Forums, a worldwide group of members who share an interest in Apple and the iPad. many of our members volunteer their time to help other members with their questions and problems. if a search of the forums doesn't provide the answers you need, don't hesitate to ask a question in the proper forum.
Before posting, you should read the Forum rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

To sync, you still need a desktop or laptop computer to store your backups and sync your devices.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's going to depend on what you want to sync and what you want to sync it with. There is no one-size-fits-all solution.

Quite a bit can be synced between iOS devices using iCloud. New purchases from iBooks, iTunes, and the App Store can be automatically downloaded on all other iOS devices using the same Apple ID. Purchases from Apple's iStores are also available for download to any of your compatible iOS device that use the same Apple ID.

Mail, Notes, Contacts, Calendars, and much more can be synced between different iOS devices using the same iCloud account.

Mail, Contacts and Calendars can be synced across most other devices if you pick the right service; Google/GMail being the easiest.

And some things simply require a computer, if not running iTunes then a third party program. But there are workarounds for most of those things.

Most reactions