What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 7 years A Long Time NOT To Be Married?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My parents didn't get married until their 24th anniversary and they only did it then because of some legal issues that came up. I don't see myself ever getting married....long term relationship? Sure but not married.

surgetek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
owning a house has its perks! but for me it is easy because i am very handy from everything from plumbing to electricity. i own 3 houses apart from the one i live in. so far ive only had 1 bad tenant. because of him i am down about $8,200. thats rent, heat and court bills. he only has 1 more week left until he is legally forced to leave.

/rant

Thankfully my tenants are my in laws and we rent to them because they fell on hard times. They know that they are there for the duration. It'll be a family meeting type thing if they decide they need/want to move.

My parents didn't get married until their 24th anniversary and they only did it then because of some legal issues that came up. I don't see myself ever getting married....long term relationship? Sure but not married.

My wife's aunt and uncle got married after 30 something years together mainly because of pensions, life insurance claims, and such.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, the No. 1 reason to get married is that, because I'd committed to one person, I wanted to make sure that if anything happened to him, I would be able to take care of him. For instance, if it comes down to life-or-death medical decisions, I know I will do my best for my husband, and vice versa. If anything happens, it will be decided by me or him, no one else.

If I'm commited to one person, I will not let anything keep me from taking care of him, including all the benefits that go to spouses in case of injury, death, etc., such as Social Security, pensions, insurance, other inheritance rights.

Of course nothing is certain, people change and can grow apart, and divorce can be messy and expensive. That's what marriage means to me: that I'm willing to take those risks because that's how much I believe in my husband.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
[Moderator edit: Removed inappropriate quote from member.]

Dude, what part of the subforum title "Off-Topic" don't you quite understand?

Here's a hint in case you continue to struggle with the term: "Off-Topic" = not necessarily having anything to do with Apple. Notice that this is the ONLY place in the entire site where Apple-centered discussion does NOT take precedence.

That said, why are you even here READING this thread titled "Is Seven Years A Long Time Not To Be Married?" in this particular "Off-Topic" subforum if all you're interested in is Apple talk and/or you're not interested in "love advice" talk? Let alone post something snide like "Go to Oprah's forum..." that doesn't even contribute to the discussion at hand? Such behavior smacks of troll.

Reading the thread title and subforum title, what'd you THINK the discussion was going to be about? iPad charging issues? Problems with iTunes Match? Speculations regarding iPad 3?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm from an era when living in "sin" was frowned upon. However, that didn't stop people from living together if they had a place of their own. I think whether married or living together or marrying with a Church's blessing or without should be strictly up to the people concerned. About 50% of marriages end in divorce which makes it a fertile field for lawyers. Then there are unexpected problems when couples break up. Lee Marvin found out the hard way and so did Clint Eastwood, I think. Either way, "breaking up is hard to do..." and benefits lawyers most of the time.
Just be happy and play it by ear...after 7 years you got something going that works...

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was going to post a long reply in here on the reasons for getting married but deleted it all because that would mean I am preaching the reasons you should make a commitment, quite obviously you are still not ready otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

I have been married for 43 years after 6 weeks of courtship and don't regret any of it, including the serious ups and downs, our marriage commitment has been worth fighting for and I wouldn't change a thing.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marriage, domestic partnership, staying single, etc. - it's all good and there is nothing wrong with any of those choices. Each has something better than the other as well as something worse. There is no high road in any direction because there are no moral absolutes in a socially complex world. I'm 47, single-not yet married-and have no issues with staying single, having a long-term girlfriend or a wife...I let nature take its course and follow my heart, not any single ideology.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens privately in any relationship is up to the couple. (My husband and I lived together and later married, because that's what felt right for us.)

But there's a difference between the private and the legal aspects of marriage, or even living together.

For instance, there are laws in various states that automatically consider a live-in couple married by common law after a certain period. So by default if the couple split, there could be financial repercussions, as Wildfire touched on. That could include splitting assets and alimony-type payments, with no marriage having ever happened. So if your goal is to guard your money and property, best make sure you know the law where you live.

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...there are laws in various states that automatically consider a live-in couple married by common law after a certain period. So by default if the couple split, there could be financial repercussions, as Wildfire touched on. That could include splitting assets and alimony-type payments, with no marriage having ever happened. So if your goal is to guard your money and property, best make sure you know the law where you live.

See . . . I told you there was a reason to remain unmarried and uncohabitated. Is that even a real word? I really do not know. Stick to flings and stolen moments and save your cash for bike parts, single malt, fine cigars, and the iPad 4. You will be better off.

I prefer to remain a grumpy old philanderer who will eventually die as he was born, Angry and nekked and screaming.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or maybe you could just hook up with richer women.

One of my colleagues is divorcing, and she's negotiating how much alimony she'll have to pay her soon-to-be ex.

OP
AntonCartel

AntonCartel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iLloyd said:
Well i've learned that all women are impossible ! And im not married ! - age 22

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

I strongly agree

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.