What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 16gb enough?

southskier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have also taken the plunge and ordered an ipad in the 16gb wifi flavor but I have seen that alot of you have ordered the 32gb and some have the 64gb on the way. Is the 16gb going to be enough to do for now and maybe pass this one along, or should I spend the extra $100.00 and get the 32gb? I was thinking that the 16 would get me through until there was an upgrade or change in the system.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Rob,

Welcome! I also ordered the 16gb. Only you can answer this question. For me 16gb will be enough. I have a 16gb iPhone that is with me all the time and is not full. I plan on using the iPad for web, email, App's and videos mostly. I also know that I do not keep every video I own on my phone nor will I keep everyone on the iPad. Also with the App Air Video or the new Airstash comming out I won't need to. This is what I know about me, you have to decide what works for you!

OP
S

southskier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa for the info. I am mainly going to use it as a notebook replacement for browsing, some photo stuff, etc. I think I will save the $$$ for accessories or use it to upgrade next yr as I did with my iphone.

Thanks,
Rob

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb iPod touch and it only has about 2gb left. I am anticipating larger apps and games. So I ordered the 64gb. Everyone has different needs tho.

iamfudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with Lisa. I have about 3gb left on my 16gb 3GS, so I too went with the 16gb wifi only iPad. I'm sure that will be plenty for surfing online, and email, maybe a couple of Ebooks.

MicroByte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32gb iPod Touch and have around 6 - 8 gb free usually. I found most of my space comes from apps and movies. I don't plan on too many movies for the iPad so I think 16gb should be sufficient.

If Apple can only accommodate a certain number of Apps (as with the iPod Touch/iPhone), 16gb should be plenty. My iPod Touch is maxed out with apps which take up 11.45 gb currently.

I ordered a 16 gb iPad, I think it should be plenty.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Rob, Welcome to the site! I was originally going to purchase the 16gb model and then sell it when the 2nd generation iPad came out.. However after talking with my son (8 years old), he convinced me we needed the 32gb model :)

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had ordered the 16gb, then after discovering another use for the iPad (photography related) I opted for the 32gb. The file sizes I work with can be quite large at times because I shoot with a 22 megapixel camera & want to be able to upload & temporarily "store" designated shots on the iPad w/o fear of space, should I have a lot of videos,apps etc. Basically a peace of mind thing!:)

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I't's going to be all about space management to some degree. If you're selective about how much music and video you put on it at any given time, and you don't load it up with every single free app available in the app store, you should be fine. I'm not an app collector, but I do have quite a few. LOTS of those, I don't bother to sync to my iPhone. I just don't use them. Some are free games that I don't play much. Sometimes I'll switch out one game for another depending on my mood that week. If I put all my apps on my phone, I'd overrun the memory just with those.

iPad specific apps are going to be proportionally bigger because of the resources needed to support the larger screen. Bigger screen means bigger bitmaps for backgrounds, etc. Not all will be larger, but enough to make a difference. Manager your apps! :)

Documents for iWork shouldn't be an issue. I've commented elsewhere on here that the 2500+ word processor, spreadsheet, presentation & PDF documents I use regularly for work fit in well under 2GB. I doubt too many people will by trying to carry that much crap around on their iPad. even I don't intend to use it as a total laptop replacement, though it will be nice to have enough room to carry those documents for reference should I need them.

wolfpackfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered a 16GB iPad. I don't plan on putting any music on it, I'll just continue to use my iPhone for that but I will be putting videos on it. I imagine I will be spending some time moving videos back and forth to my Mac. But other than that inconvenience, it should be fine.

Last edited:

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Eh trust me thats enough. Unless you plan on saving a whole bunch of stuff on it, then that model is not for you.(common sense)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eh trust me thats enough. Unless you plan on saving a whole bunch of stuff on it, then that model is not for you.(common sense)

Well I have a 16GB Touch and its almost full....with no movies on it. LOTS of music and 12 pages of apps....and I expect ill end up with even more on the iPad and Movies and Docs.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well I have a 16GB Touch and its almost full....with no movies on it. LOTS of music and 12 pages of apps....and I expect ill end up with even more on the iPad and Movies and Docs.

I'm curious, though as to how many of those apps you actually use... I have lots of apps as well, but only a relatively small set of them get installed on my phone for any length of time. I'll lay odds you could decide not to sync most of those to your Touch (or iPad for that matter) and probably never miss them.

It's all a matter of personal preference, though.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm curious, though as to how many of those apps you actually use... I have lots of apps as well, but only a relatively small set of them get installed on my phone for any length of time. I'll lay odds you could decide not to sync most of those to your Touch (or iPad for that matter) and probably never miss them.

It's all a matter of personal preference, though.

There are a lot of games that I do open occasionally..and all the apps that aren't games I use occasionally or often. If it's not full why delete anything? It's not like filling it will in any way hinder the performance...I would rather have 12 pages of apps I occasionally use than have to redownload apps I deleted in the past....also most of my apps are paid....so I had to have a use for them.

Most reactions

Latest posts