What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipod to Ipad

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New owner of an Ipad here and had a question on how to transfer all of my music from my Ipod to my Ipad on the cloud. I currently have about 1,100 songs on my dinosaur of an Ipod. Some of the songs are on Itunes and some of them came from my CD's over the years.

My question is what is the easiest way to transfer all songs to my Ipad cloud?

OP
kostnkost

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow 155views without a reply? I guess there is no way to accomplish this.

wayneh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even the ones made from CD's are in iTunes are they not? If not, how did they get on the iPod? If yes, then iTunes can transfer them to the IPad the same way they were transferred originally to the iPod.

Srmacmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think once everything is synced up you have to subscribe to iTunes match to have anything that wasn't purchased through iTunes go to iCloud. I'm not positive.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's doable. Hang tight and someone will come along and answer.

It's been so long since I migrated my music that I don't want to steer you wrong. Back then, I found some freeware, transferred my iPod music to iTunes and loaded to my iPad long before iCloud, which I don't use for music. I originally bought my music on CDs, transferred it to computer and used something besides iTunes to manage my music and load it to iPod. (I avoided iTunes on iPod, but had no choice on iPad.)

OP
kostnkost

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's doable. Hang tight and someone will come along and answer.

I did a little research and found an awesome free program called Sharepod which works with older iPods.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a little research and found an awesome free program called Sharepod which works with older iPods.

Glad to hear it. It's good you posted, in case someone else needs to know.

I wish I'd done a better job managing my music. I thought I'd finally united everything on iPod, but every so often I think up a CD I want to hear and find it's not in my iTunes, even though I know I bought the CD at some point.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Good to see there's an app for that. I saw another thread that you had started about this and it confused me a little since I was following this one. Glad to see that you at least included your solution on the first thread for others to easily follow. Thanks!

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As said, any music that's on your iPod must be in iTunes or you'd not have been able to get it on the iPod in the first place.

At the simplest, just connect up the iPad and sync all the music from iTunes to it just as you did with the iPod before. Whether the tracks were purchased via iTunes or ripped from CD won't matter, they'll be synced regardless. The cloud doesn't really enter into it.

Regards the cloud, you should have access to purchased tracks via this method as the purchases will be logged against your account and you can re-download them directly to the iPad. If you subscribe to iTunes Match then you'll also be able to do this for any music in your iTunes library which wasn't purchased via iTunes itself.

OP
kostnkost

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As said, any music that's on your iPod must be in iTunes or you'd not have been able to get it on the iPod in the first place.

Yes you are correct that I had a lot of my music on iTunes on an older computer which crashed around 4 years ago. I still had the music on my iPod though and transferred that easily with the program I mentioned above. Now I am in the process of finding the best way to store my 8-9 GB of music. Obviously the cloud is out unless I want to upgrade and pay. There is also the option of an external hard drive as well.

I am mainly concerned about another crash since my computer is 4 years old. Although not ancient, I just do not want to make the same mistake again.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah right I'm with you now.

Backups are a must really - I couldn't sleep at night without full, daily backups of all my machines (I have a lot).

Regards the cloud, I'm not sure what this would do for you in terms of backing up your music. iTunes Match would allow you to access all your music from the cloud without pre-loading it onto the iPad which saves a lot of space but, should the worst happen and you lose your machine and iTunes library again, I don't know if you'd then be allowed to re-download all the music that was previously Matched. I think you could but I'd still recommend a decent backup strategy for your whole machine.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually, there have been a number of ways to get music onto iPod without iTunes. I haven't used them since getting iPad, but they seem to still be out there. Plenty findable on google, such as this:

Hack Attack: Add music and movies to your iPod from any computer without iTunes

Such methods used to work fine with just music, but iPad has apps and so much else that I think it's hard to get away from iTunes without limiting iPad's functions.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kay...you rock, woman! I am firing up my neglected iPod classic so I can use it at work. This will be handy, since I would like to transfer music without iTunes. Not that I don't like iTunes, it just takes soo long to open to get a few songs on. Thank you!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kay...you rock, woman! I am firing up my neglected iPod classic so I can use it at work. This will be handy, since I would like to transfer music without iTunes. Not that I don't like iTunes, it just takes soo long to open to get a few songs on. Thank you!

Very cool. I hope it works still. Please note that that link is several years old, but there seem to be plenty on google still.

I know what you mean. I first turned to this kind of non-iTunes method years ago because iTunes would lock up on my computer. It worked great for getting music on, but husband and I were disorganized and started putting music on from at least three computers and lost track of what went where, and then we'd change computers, ugh. One day, I keep telling myself, I will methodically go through all our CDs and make sure everything is ripped and stored in one place. Hard, though, because we have two homes and CDs are scattered.

Most reactions

Latest posts