What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iphone and an Ipad - is that overkill

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. It's definitely not.

Now, 2 iPads, and 2 iPhones will probably be overkill when my iPad2 arrives soon! :D

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 64GB 3G and I think it's the perfect combination. I've got a laptop too but I hardly use that now, only when I fancy typing on a physical keyboard.

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both as well. The iPhone use has gone down slightly. What really gets neglected is my laptop. Still, all make sense to me.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and echo the sentiments. I don't always have my iPad with me, so iPhone is great for quick on the fly portability.
I use apps on both, Kindle is maybe the one I use the most in common, but the two also have different uses-like I would never do PDF annotations on my iPhone (even though I can). Games I use on both, but most of my main reading is on iPad, although I like having books on iPhone too just to always have on hand in a pinch. I take notes on iPad, something I don't do on iPhone, except a quick list in the Use Your Handwriting app. I do quick look-ups on iPhone if I'm out, but never use it to surf the internet if I'm at home-iPad takes the cake there hands down.
In other words-having both is not a duplicate in the way people might think.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I only recently got both my iphone 3gs and my ipad2. In fact I got my iphone while waiting for my ipad2. I don't see much duplication. I use my phone as a phone. The ipad as a computer. And I use my laptop at night for email.

solorca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally prefer have an ipad/android phone combination. I have both of the major players in the mobile world covered, and I believe that both are worth having around.

I originally picked up an Android tablet, and returned it because I wasn't that impressed by what it could do outside of my phone. I believe I would feel the same way if I purchased an iphone, as it relates to my ipad.

Last edited:

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
No. It's definitely not.

Now, 2 iPads, and 2 iPhones will probably be overkill when my iPad2 arrives soon! :D

Definitely overkill. Why not wait for iPad 3?

Uh huh. He should be asking for the bulk discount or something along those lines? :D

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buy an Android smart phone and a netbook (or a light laptop). You will be more productive than iPad + iPhone combo :)

wlsblessed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree with the Android totally. I owned one up until I got my iPhone and would be very hard pressed to go back to an Android powered phone. I really love my iPhone and iPad and they compliment each other. iPad is great for surfing the net at home, letters and games, while the iPhone is great for on the go. Also, I copy notes to the iPad so when I stand to speak I can have them in front of me. I've done this on my iPhone but it is much better on the iPad.

No over kill in having both an iPad and iPhone you'll be glad you have both.

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
Buy an Android smart phone and a netbook (or a light laptop). You will be more productive than iPad + iPhone combo :)

Android is working to be a great mobile and tablet OS but Apple is all by themselves when it comes to hardware. Although HTC is very close, nothing feels or works as well as the "i" lineup. I am a tech junkie and can't stand a flimsy plastic phone, netbook, tablet..ect..

I have been following the iDroid scene, hoping we would be able to cleanly dual boot Android and iOS on any iDevice, which I have on my iPhone 2G, yet doesn't fully work. Apple is slowly figuring out the software end of things, especially watching the WWDC last night regarding iOS 5 but is away from meeting what we all want in a portable device.

Having an iPhone in your pocket still is a better piece of hardware than anything out there and the iPad 2 is a mile in front of it's nearest competitor, having both, btw I do, is great.. I found between the two I never boot up the 'ol PC.

Most reactions

Latest posts