What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad's unable to connect to 128 bit WEP wifi networks

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this issue with my wifi, a family member's wifi, and a few of my clients. I had set up their wifi security with 128 bit WEP security. Laptops had no problems connecting and obtaining internet connectivity, after inputting one of the generated keys at the password prompt. The Ipads however, are a different story. They appear to "Join" the network after inputting the key, however, they are unable to obtain internet connectivity. Looking at the wifi settings on the Ipads showed a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address, showing that there were not assigned an ip address. I tried manually inputting one, but this never worked. When I "dumbed down" the WEP security to 64 bit, after I had the ipads forget the network, they were able to be assigned an ip and had internet connectivity, when joining the network.

This must be a known issue, as I am 0-5 in getting Ipads on a 128 bit WEP Wifi Network. Is there a solution? Is apple working on a resolution?

Thanks

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this issue with my wifi, a family member's wifi, and a few of my clients. I had set up their wifi security with 128 bit WEP security. Laptops had no problems connecting and obtaining internet connectivity, after inputting one of the generated keys at the password prompt. The Ipads however, are a different story. They appear to "Join" the network after inputting the key, however, they are unable to obtain internet connectivity. Looking at the wifi settings on the Ipads showed a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address, showing that there were not assigned an ip address. I tried manually inputting one, but this never worked. When I "dumbed down" the WEP security to 64 bit, after I had the ipads forget the network, they were able to be assigned an ip and had internet connectivity, when joining the network.

This must be a known issue, as I am 0-5 in getting Ipads on a 128 bit WEP Wifi Network. Is there a solution? Is apple working on a resolution?

Thanks

You should use WPA2 if available. It's much more secure, and I have had ZERO problems connecting my iPad to several networks using this. FWIW

CHT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
X2 on using wpa2. Wep is definitely not very secure, and who wants to enter all those characters when they bring a wifi device over? If you insist on using wep, try switching your router to a different broadcast channel. It might resolve your connectivity issues.

OP
M

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also set up wpa2 and Ipads were able to connect. I've tried all available broadcast channels without any luck with 128 bit WEP.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you have to use WEP, did you try static IPs? Many moons ago there was a weird problem with my iPhone where it didn't play well with certain networks, manifesting as DHCP problems. Static IPs was the workaround that fixed it till an OS update fixed whatever was causing the problem in the first place.

Michael

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also set up wpa2 and Ipads were able to connect. I've tried all available broadcast channels without any luck with 128 bit WEP.

Why wouldn't you stay with WPA2 then if they do connect but don't on WEP? :confused:

WEP in my experience has always been flighty and a "sometimes will, sometimes won't" connect environment. Not only that, but protecting your network with WEP is like putting Saran Wrap on your car to protect it from a hail storm...

javajunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure your IOS is 3.2.2, much better at WiFi and I agree with the WEP2.
Much more secure and stays connect a heck of lot better then WEP.

OP
M

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ios's were all 3.22. Static Ip's did not work. I appreciate the comments about better security. I was asking if the WEP connection problems were known, or if there was a planned fix.

dakota_ii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

i do have my ipad 64GB 3G in a Wlan with 128 bit WEP Encryption. I am using static IPs. Never tried DHCP though.

Marcus

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some older routers did 128 bit WEP incorrectly. They only worked with devices of the same manufacturer. Linksys was famous for that.

But as others have said, WEP is useless as a security protocol. It can be hacked with very simple tools. So don't use it unless you have no choice, and figure that you are completely unprotected while you are on a WEP network.

topsaillady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read all the forums but this morning I had to visit a very sick friend and they had WEP and I could not connect with my ipad nor my droid. The same thing happened at another friends house.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
The issue seems to be with the routers' settings rather than the iPad. There is no statistical way that you would get 5 bad iPads in a row, especially since the failing point is the DHCP service of the Router, not getting connected. You are connecting to the routers with WEP, but they are failing on getting a valid IP. That is a different part of the Router settings. You stated you set them all up. Personally, I don't know anything of your background, but it just sounds like the routers are set up wrong. Take a look in those settings and see what it is set to give out.

And WEP? You really need to use at least WPA for minimal security, but if the routers support WPA2, use it.

I bought my iPad with 3.2.2 and upgraded to 4.2.1 with no issue concerning WIFI connections at all. The one day I could not get a valid IP on the iPad in a known working coffee shop, they reset their router and everything went back to normal. I never turn off my Wifi even when I know I will be on 3G only for a while, and it picks right back up on wifi when I get into range of a known access point.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, using anything less than WPA2 on a wireless N router will reduce you to a G connection. Another reason to use WPA2.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am working fine with WEP.
Reason I am not on WAP2 is, my Nokia E71 , that does not support WAP2.
But I sure recommend every one to move into WAP2.

Most reactions

Latest posts