What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPads and Target Stores

laurieb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called my Targets and asked about this, not that I really needed the Ipad 2 but if it worked fine.

I called 2 stores and they told me that they do not take open products back at all? They have a mobile thing at a Target and bring it there, but you will not get full refund??

Anybody else?

Laurie

Thinkdifferent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried to return things there but there is only a $70 limit per transaction with out a receipt? Unless I was foiled. Hah

jay7872

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it has not been 90 days since you brought the item, and you still have your reciept, then you are still allowed to return the item back to the store, Targets return policy is 90 days with a receipt, of course you need all original accessories and the box along with the item..in terms of ipad, the sereial on the receipt must also match the one on the unit. They generally mention a %15 restocking fee but just claim it was defected, wifi was not working or something along the lines, and request a refund back. and yes if you lose a receipt, then you are limited to $70 refund

JMcGrath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Returned an ipad today to a Target store that was purchased 12/19/10...so about 88 days ago. Was thinking about purchasing the warranty for it but read threads like this and decided to try to take it back so I could get the ipad 2 for the same price. Took it to the courtesy counter and returned it without a question asked. She asked if I wanted the refund back on the same card or a gift card.

I called a couple of Target stores prior to the return asking for their policy and received different answers, including one that said no return of open ipad box. This was discouraging but I thought I would try anyway.

There was NO restocking fee.

I did have the original box and all original accessories...everything in MINT condition. But the Target associate really didn't look at things that closely anyway.

Now I just have to wait for the ipad 2 to get in stock!

Just thought I would pass this along.

Reaction score
If it has not been 90 days since you brought the item, and you still have your reciept, then you are still allowed to return the item back to the store, Targets return policy is 90 days with a receipt, of course you need all original accessories and the box along with the item..in terms of ipad, the sereial on the receipt must also match the one on the unit. They generally mention a %15 restocking fee but just claim it was defected, wifi was not working or something along the lines, and request a refund back. and yes if you lose a receipt, then you are limited to $70 refund

You mean like the backlight not working on a Kindle? I took mine back because it does not come with a backlight, I told them that was why, she said they weren't supposed to take them back "but since the backlight doesn't work" they would allow it in this case. Not my suggestion, the nice lady at returns.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

g35holdem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Target Return Policy

I was just lucky enough to find an iPad 2 in stock at my local Target. I went in hoping for the 32GB Black Wifi only but when I got there, all they had was the White one. I bought it anyway, but I asked the sales rep about the return policy and he told me I had 90 days as long as the iPad was in "new" condition. I specifically asked him if it was OK if I opened the cellophane wrapper as long as I brought it back with the receipt and the original box (in perfect condition, obviously) and he told me it would be no problem and I would NOT have a restocking fee.

I was still a little leery about it so I went to the customer service area where they handle returns and asked the woman there as well. She told me the same thing as the salesperson and reinforced it by telling me that she had done a few iPad returns and had never charged a restocking fee as long as the person had the receipt and original packaging (opened or not).

Being the anal-retentive person that I am, I decided to call the corporate office to get their story and they basically told me the same thing.

Looks like no one should have a problem returning an iPad as long as you keep it in perfect condition and hold on to the box.

Happy shopping!!:)

laurieb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called 2 Target stores by me and told them I had everything and they still said no to my IPad.
Not that I really needed the iPad 2 but thought if they would of said sure then I would of.

Laurie

variador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Return policy at Target

I bought a 64 gb 3g ipad at Target. When opening the ipad box I realized it was an ipad 1 so nothing was touched and I put the top back on the box.
All that had happened to the ipad was the shrink wrap on the box had been broken. Note; the plastic on the ipad was never removed, the ipad had never been started. The ipad had never been touched.
Target told me they didn't take iPads back and I would have to go to Apple.
This was yesterday April 10th near Chicago. I went to the Apple store today. The manager was nice but said he didn't have any method for taking a return like this. The manager then called the Target and talked to the manager. She told him they didn't take returns on iPads. He told her that it had not been opened and he didn't understand. Suddenly she understood the meaning of unopened. If I had pulled the wrap of the actual iPad I would be trying to figure out what to do with a 3g ipad 1.
While getting my money back they said they do not take returns on any electronics that data of any kind had been stored. Even digital cameras.
So if I count, the first two target people at the return counter who both knew they didn't take back ipads. The managers assistant who initially told the Apple store manager they didn't take back ipads. The manager. The person working electronics at the the Target store who had to check that the ipad was untouched and finally the actual Target employee that turned the charge around on my visa who had to get permission from the manager cause she wasn't going to do it. So that is six people at the target store that knew they didn't take back ipads. They all knew this info immediately.
When I read the 3 pages in this forum about Targets return policy there is only one message about a return problem. "This was not my experience" is an understatement. It took a couple hours.
Maybe it is the date being after iPad2 rollout. Maybe it is location. NW suburb of Chicago but I feel lucky to have my money back.
Everyone was very nice during all of my meetings but they were holding the line and their policy of no ipad returns.
Be careful, ask, it is no slam dunk. At least it wasn't for me.

jrp95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.freethegadget.com
Okay so, I am getting mixed answers from this. Could I take my white 16GB iPad 2 back to the target that I got it from, get a full refund and upgrade to an iPad 2 32gb for $100 more?? I have until June 23rx my recipt says.

Reaction score
I would suggest you call the Target you plan to go to and ask before going.
It is a discretionary policy set by the manager. On your receipt it states electronics and what not that have been opened are supposed to be exchanged for like merchandise only once they've been opened BUT most stores do go by the letter of the rule. I had no problem exchanging my Kindl for an ipad and ,when the screen cracked on the ipad a week later, exchanging it for another one but since they were out of wifi only I was given the choice of refund for the wifi or pay the difference for a 3g

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

arf1410

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've will soon have 2 identical, unopened iPad 2s...one from Target, one from Macmall. I actually only want one. Can I take the one from Macmall (still in unopened box) and return it to Target? I know with some major appliances, what one buys at Best Buy will not be literally identically to the same appliance from Home Depot. But are all of the same model iPads the same SKU? Does Target track the serial number (not SKU/UPC) of the iPad, which is printed on the outside of the box?

solorca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, Best Buy's return policy is 14 days, not 30. At my local store, they don't have it posted at all and it isn't on the receipt, but their website lists tablets as 14 day return items.

I had to fight them on this issue when I returned my Motorola Xoom after about 25 days. They let me return it in the end, but only after I complained on twitter.

Reaction score
I noticed my local Target has a full selection of Ipad2s today, with plenty of each.23834 zip code

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

jay7872

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've will soon have 2 identical, unopened iPad 2s...one from Target, one from Macmall. I actually only want one. Can I take the one from Macmall (still in unopened box) and return it to Target? I know with some major appliances, what one buys at Best Buy will not be literally identically to the same appliance from Home Depot. But are all of the same model iPads the same SKU? Does Target track the serial number (not SKU/UPC) of the iPad, which is printed on the outside of the box?

NO...Target stores DO track Serial Numbers, as it is printed right onto the receipt...If the serial number on the actual receipt does not match the serial number on the actual unit and box, then a return will not be accepted. It is target policy that all serials must match the one printed on the receipt in order to process a return.

Once again you have 90 days from the date of purchase to make returns to any target store as long as you have a receipt, the box, and all original included accessories. Those stories floating around that ipad 1st or 2nd gen are not eligible for returns are false, if any store gives you problems making a return, please call HQ to file a complaint. No stores should decline to make a return as long as you meet the qualifications

Most reactions

Latest posts