What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 very slow after iOS8 install!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not yet and own an iPad 2. I am still waiting to see how it goes for everybody else.

Have you restarted your iPad to see if that might fix it?

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry. I have the Air and it seams to work fine on it. I haven't installed it on my work's iPad 3, because it might mess up my work app. I'm currently testing the work app on my Air.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have not yet and own an iPad 2. I am still waiting to see how it goes for everybody else.

Have you restarted your iPad to see if that might fix it?

Yes, a restart was the first thing I tried, and it's not made a lot of difference. If you haven't downloaded it yet, it might pay to wait a while!

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, distinct pause before apps load and display, slow Safari, Spotlight search sometimes gets certain data from iPad, other times does not get the same data. Great difficulty printing, all printer operations ignore printers that were previously available in IOS 7, now only have one printer available, and that's a high quality graphics printer - no good for general use. And that is despite all my printers being available to my network via wifi. Keyboard, which should suggest words, only works in some apps, not in TapaTalk ! In fact it now seems to have given up the ghost altogether. Also network connection occasionally drops unexpectedly for quite a few minutes, then comes back - eventually. And why the change to tabs (and closing them) in Safari ? RIDICULOUS !

Certainly wish I had waited !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like iOS 8 is definitely a wait-and-see update for the trusty iPad 2. Maybe even a 'no thanks, like what I have now.'

As tempting as it is to always get the new iOS updates, gonna really try to exercise good judgement this time.

(OK, OK, I'll wait - don't update now - just don't do it. OK, OK!)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Work has been very busy for me to even think about updating to iOS 8...probably a good thing right now. I also need to make sure that I have adequate storage on all devices before making the move.

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad mini. That's basically the same as a 2, right? I'm having all kinds of trouble. Everything is so slow; Safari Slow enough and unpredictable as to be nearly unusable? Is it just my device? Did I download improperly somehow? I am so stressed and frustrated about it, wondering if this is what I'm going to have to live with from now on. I'm a long time Apple fan, but if this is an "improvement" over version 7, I think it's time to reconsider Android. Is there any advice? Anybody else having extreme useability issues?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 2 is pretty much older technology when compared to the iPad air. I have a ipad 2 and have realized that this update may not be one I do for this device. A new device is certainly one to think about soon.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Installed 8 last night. Performance seems about the same. At this point I don't see any big changes. Not that impressed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are no big visual changes, and no radical changes in the native apps; well, maybe iBooks. It's mostly usability tweaks features.

The big changes are in the new things you are able to do; but most of those changes are about Extensions and iCloud Drive. The first depend on support by third party apps, and the second is kind of delayed for most of us who want to keep syncing with non iOS 8 devices.

What you are going to see is more and more ways to get things done between apps and devices. It will build slowly as developers start taking advantage of the new iOS features; until one day you'll look back and wonder how you ever put up with stodgy old iOS 7. :)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problems on my iPad 2 so far, just some minor bugs in third party apps and some new features of iOS 8, something that can be delt with easily by an update or a hard reset or something like that.

My iPad 2 has been lagging hard and became slow on the first few hours when I installed iOS 8, but after those hours my iPad 2 went back to normal. Do a hard reset or just wait a few days.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After iOS8 install app icons are being replaced with grid pattern after wakeup or reboot, soft reset or full but still go to site,(are active).
Did full reset and icons came back but same thing happened after wakeup this morning.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are they actually app icons, or bookmarks from Safari, like these:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411115461.250933.jpg

I have to open them one by one to get a picture for the icon, as before.

If they are apps: there are lots of updates in App Store since the new software was released. Maybe they need updating.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to upload screen shot:
After iOS8 install app icons are being replaced with grid pattern after wakeup or reboot, soft reset or full but still go to site,(are active).
Did full reset and icons came back but same thing happened after wakeup this morning.
Can't get screenshot to upload...
App icons being replaced with a gray & white crosshair pattern.
Have done a full reset. How can I upload screen shot?

Most reactions

Latest posts